We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Newt Gingrich for President

Graham*

Likes # 0

Can we possibly have a President of the United States called Newt Gingrich? click here

I can't help wondering what his parents were thinking - 'I know, lets call him Newt'

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I can't help wondering what his parents were thinking - 'I know, lets call him Newt'"

But of course they didn't - they called him Newton, as Lazarus The 2nd points out.

It's worth considering how some of the names we encounter on this side of the Atlantic might sound to American ears, and remembering the old adage that people in glass houses... etc.

I'm sure that someone in Montana might find it difficult to understand how someone called Menzies Campbell insists that he's really 'Mingis' Campbell. All of us obviously know that it relates to the "yogh", but most Americans wouldn't, any more than they would know that Mr. Dalziel should be referred to as Mr. Dee-ELL.

Then there's that place in Dumfries And Galloway called Glenzier, except that the people who live there call it Glinger.

Norman St John Stevas (of silk underwear fame) couldn't understand why anyone didn't know that his surname was pronounced 'SinJun'. Newt Gingrich would probably think it a bit odd, although Mr.Sinclair (that's St. Clair to the uninitiated) wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Like I said, people in glass houses.....

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Very often people are referrred to by nicknames that they never chose but they stick anyway. My own name comes to mind. I can remember many moons ago when we had a new young lecturer arriving called Livinstone and of course we had debated what we would call him and I think the consensus was Deadbrick until the first morning when he opened his mouth and inadvertantly chose it for himself.

He started of as he meant to go on and in a very severe tone said his name was Mr Livingstone and he wished to be refered to as such. For the rest of his time he was known of course as Mr Such and I believe in later years he was also known as Professor Such.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looking at the names some of our UK celebrities are rendering on their children, then perhaps the Americans might have something to consider or ponder on?.

I wonder how many men, both sides of the pond have been called Shirley, or females called Charlie?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Marion", though it is spelled Meirion, is a fairly common boy's name in Wales.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...