We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desert Island Discs

chub_tor
Resolved

Likes # 0

This programme is 70 years old (just three years younger than me) and I would be interested to read which discs, book and luxury item forum members would choose if they were selected to go on the programme. To get you started here is my choice.

Don't Fence me in - Gene Autry (to remind me of my youth and the first piano piece I ever played).

Listen to my Music - Ted Heath and his Music (memories of Colchester Corn Exchange being blasted by that superb brass section).

A Garden in the Rain - Victor Sylvester (so that I could practise my slow foxtrot that was once my forte).

Get me to the Church on Time - Shelley Manne/Andre Previn (the first modern jazz that I ever appreciated).

Blue Rondo a la Turk - Dave Brubeck (I sold my drumkit when I realise that I could not play that rhythm).

Walking Shoes - Gerry Mulligan (I so desperately wanted a Baritone Sax but could never afford one).

The very thought of you - Frank Sinatra (to remind me of my wife and family who will not be stranded with me).

Lord I hope this day is Good - Don Williams (to keep alive my memories of listening to country music when we lived in the USA).

My Book Choice - Coral Island written by R M Ballantyne in 1858 and a Christmas present to me from my parents nearly 100 years later and a book that I have read and re-read ever since.

My Luxury Item - a full drum kit with lots of cymbals, a high hat and at least two tom toms so that I can finally master those intricate Brubeck rhythms.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You do know that the drum kit will have barbed wire fitted to stop you using it as a shelter (very against the rules), someone one asked for a grand piano and was told that!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My music choice would change hourly, so can't I just keep the phone that's in my pocket with about 3500 songs on it and also have that as my luxury item? After all, this is the 21st century, surely they won't expect to still give an antique gramophone with wax disks.

And for the book can I have a 3g Kindle, or is that expecting just too much of the 21st century?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam and what will you do when the batteries run out? Better make your luxury item a solar charger! We are talking a 1942 wind up gramophone to play these records on....

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

singing in the rain

mr sandman

nat king cole any of his tunes

billy holiday

blondie

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What no mains electric! I'll just have a weekend at Skeggie then...

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Bruce Springsteen and the E street Band Live 1975 - 1985

A Takamine acoustic guitar

A fishing rod

and one of them magic beer glasses that refills itself as soon as it's empty!!!!!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

One disk = Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street'.

One book = The Children's Encyclopedia by Arthur Mee.

One Luxury = A Soup Ladle ... to scratch my back!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

So it's 8 records, a luxury item and a book

The records will change regularly, but here's a selection that I always enjoy.

Music:

Find The River by REM

Si Firmi O Grido by A Certain Ratio

Mojave-Plan by Tangerine Dream

Eligia by New Order

Watermelons In Easter Hay by Frank Zappa

Atmosphere by Joy Division

Sometimes by James

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths

(I'm amazed I managed to find all them on You Tube)

Book:

The Stand by Stephen King - a stunning book that's long enough to start afresh after you've finished it, and its theme of Good vs Evil sits nicely with the Bible. Shakespeare will make good fuel for my camp fire.

Luxury:

The magic porridge pot

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd - The long Live Version from the OGWTest Hurricane by Neil Young Desolation Row by Bob Dylan - To keep me in mind of "friends" Suicide - Live Version - By Barclay James Harvest Faithfully by Journey - Well can't help but be on a desert island First Of May by The Bee Gees - old memories die hard Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin I Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac

Book Shogun

Luxury my Fender Accoustic

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One thing that has always puzzled me about Desert Island discs......

How on earth would anyone ever be able to listen to their selections on a desert island?

Never mind; disbelief duly suspended:-

Mystery train - Elvis

To know him is to love him - The Teddy Bears

Lucille - Chuck Berry

Songbird - Fleetwood Mac

Comfortably numb - Pink Floyd

All shook up - Ry Cooder

Keep your hands to yourself - Georgia Satellites

Rhapsody in blue - Gershwin

Symphony No. 9 in D Minor - Beethoven

And finally.... I saw this woman live in Housten, and came away realising that I had just seen someone demonstrating exactly how to sing and play blues guitar. She was just amazing, and listening to her would make the desert island less of an ordeal.

Book Choice? A natural history of the senses, by Diane Ackerman

Luxury item? A Gibson SJ-250 Monarch acoustic guitar. At around $26,000 it certainly qualifies as a luxury item.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......