We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are Kodak guilty of suicide?

interzone55

Likes # 0

Kodak have filed for Chapter 11 protection in the US, which is pretty much their version of calling in the administrators.

It seems that the digital age has not been kind to Kodak, with their range of film and photo paper not selling well any more.

The thing is, Kodak invented the digital camera in 1975, so why on earth didn't they take advantage?

Kodak make some astonishingly high resolution CCDs which are used in large format cameras for landscape, fashion and advertising photography. They even make some of the image sensors used in satellites.

So why are they going bust?

Simple, they forgot the mass market. They forgot that it's fine and dandy making a couple of super high quality, high margin, devices, but in order to keep a large company going you also need to make lots of stuff for Joe Public. This is one of the reasons Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti etc are owned by larger companies, they just couldn't survive on their own because they'd have no money to invest in new products.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Interestingly the Lumix DMC-G3 is over £400 yet why should the quality surprise you? A review of that camera says:

'Panasonic has introduced a new 16.6-million-pixel Live MOS sensor for the Lumix G3, which uses novel circuitry. We are awaiting information about exactly what has been done, but Panasonic claims the new circuitry and noise suppression within the photodiode result in cleaner images.'

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-lumix-g3-954028/review

'cleaner images' - From what? The range before, What about the new range next year? No doubt that too with have an improved maybe bigger better even totally different sensor with improved quality.

Compared to what though? I think the base line being used is still film quality, we are still playing catch-up & will be for some time. That is simply my point.

I was in a cinema recently installing power backup & was surprised how huge the open reels of film were & the speed & complexity of the film run. I found the tour of the projection room fascinating.

What surprised me the most was according to the projectionists it was 35mm film (or thereabouts he said) enhanced with recording stripes giving Dolby sound etc.

I could not believe such a tiny format I saw could be magnified to the huge size it was & still there was no pixelation visible from the magnified viewers of the screen they could use to monitor quality.

I assumed it would be a huge format film or some totally new type of format. They also had a 3D movie running on another screen using a digital format of unknown origin.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A potted history of Kodak They certainly lost their direction somewhere in the last 40 years.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Quickbeam,eggs & one basket come to mind.

The German photographic & mainstream film maker company Agfa suffered the same fate a while ago. I would have thought this would have been a wake-up call for Kodak, but they soldiered on regardless.

Agfa-Gevaert - Wikipedia

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic that I bought in the school club, then I bought an Agfa Silette a month later when I discovered that you need more than a single control in the way of a shutter button before switching to Minolta, that I remained faithful with until they too lost the plot in the digital revolution.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Kodak should bring back the instant photo camera's they were brilliant.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK