We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Coins

Woolwell
Resolved

Likes # 0

There was a thread about this in 2010 (now locked) but the new steel coins are apparently being introduced this month. Stand by for snags and pockets full of coins that will not work New Coins

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

We went all through the 'not working' in vending and parking machines, plus other devices a few years back. When that happened, it cost the industry quite a lot of money in scrapping or doing modifications to the machines, which of course, was passed onto the consumer.

Perhaps now time to consider payments by debit or credit card only (with a surcharge perhaps)?.

Like this post  
finerty

Likes # 0

if they already charged us they will over charge us again. especially during the olypics

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Wont they go rusty when it rains???

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

My maths is not that good,but saving the Treasury 7-8 million per year will cost industry and local councils around £80m over two years.So 10yrs before the saving starts to pay for itself?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

robgf I don't usually get rain in my pockets!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

wiz-king, I was going to make a remark about wearing drainpipe trousers and pumps but I won't bother ;o}}

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...the magnetic properties of the new coins (ie attracted to magnets), will facilitate the robbing of 'piggy-banks'...extra vigilence is required!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

There's a fantastic example of how the Daily Mail likes to twist things in the paper yesterday.

Steel yourselves for the smaller new 5p and 10p that will save Treasury £8million a year rants the headline

Then you read the story - the coins are the same diameter, and the same weight, but 11% THICKER as steel is lighter than the cupro-nickel currently used.

Nowhere in the article does it explain just how this makes the coins smaller...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

robgf

The criteria followed by the Royal Mint for all new coins are that they must be:-

strong but not brittle

corrosion proof in normal use

incapable of carrying germs

able to be recycled

convenient to carry

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I wonder why they don't carry the "incapable of carry germs" element on to paper money where it is the more likely to happen?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?