We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you think the BBC should charge for some iPlayer use?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

What do you think about the news that the BBC is considering charging for iPlayer use?

Have your say in our poll.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE, as I feel very strongly that the BBC TV Licence Fee should be abolished, can I make a BLOCK vote of 1000 ticks?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

OMG

Wouldn't it be an awful world if the BBC funded their iPlayer with the inclusion of (screams insanely at a faceless crowd) ADVERTISING and we all had to sit through several rounds of commercials - which can't be skipped - like we currently get on the very rarely used ITV Player. (Well, rarely used in our house).

I'd prefer to pay a "micro-payment" rather than have commercials or an increase in the licence fee, but I would go without first rather than pay anything at all.

That option isn't in the choices on the survey (which appears to be badly worded quote "Do you think the BBC should charge for some iPlayer use? Yes. The current situation is unfair because of the varying quality of internet access across the UK" - shouldn't that be NO?) so I've gone for No, the Licence Fee is already too high

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

To paraphrase "Not The Not o'Clock News" from memory :

Well done to the BBC - another winner. The test card is worth the licence fee on its own. I would gladly sell my house and all my possessions to fund the BBC . . . .

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

My colleague David spoke to the BBC today. They didn't deny that they would ever charge for some services, but the gist of it is they'd like to at some stage get the entire BBC archive online, and don't know how they could fund that, so are discussing options:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/internet/3330996/bbc-no-plans-charge-for-iplayer/

Like this post
nickcroker

Likes # 2

I think the 54% (currently) that think the licence fee is too high or should be abolished really don't appreciate how good the output of the BBC is - have they never seen any foreign television? Do they really want all TV in this country to end up at the lowest common denominator, that is ITV on a any evening you'd care to choose? You might not like all the BBC's output and no one's forcing you to watch it but are you selfish enough to deny it to others. Is there really nothing you like from the BBC TV or radio? I dare say there would be commercial backers for a David Attenborough project or series but what about all the niche projects that deserve an audience - they would never make it to the screen in a commercial world and we'd all be much poorer for that. I wonder how many of these detractors spend there days downloading music, tv and films from P2P sites and are believe everything should be free. The market and commercial world is not the answer to everything! Just look at the mess unfettered capitalism has got us into. It's not all about money! Rant over :-)

Like this post
PeterY

Likes # 1

Has PCA started taking on ex Daily Mail journaists? The slighly misleading headlines and slanted poll questions would appear to say that they are.

Shouldn't the poll question have been 'Do you think the BBC should charge for viewing archive material on the iPlayer?' At present it tends to suggest that they are looking at charging for the current iPlayer content.

Those who believe that the BBC could fund the digitising, pay repeat fees etc for the entire BBC archive from the current License Fee must be living in cloud cuckoo land. It would be a major undertaking and cost many millions of pounds and so the answer will probably be that if they can't charge even a relatively small amount for it then it won't happen.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

nickcrocker - you have knocked some sense into my 'blinkered viewpoint'.

Radio4 and Radio World Service are worth the licence money alone.

...but the TV output is dire, apart from 'Homes Under The Hammer' and 'University Challenge'- I usually get about 8 questions correct.

...and the incidental music on H.U.T.Hammer is music to my ears!

I can't use IPLAYER 'cos I've got dial-up and 1gb mobile broadband per month.

My TV is switched off (24/7 - 23/7)...i.e. it's on for about one hour per day.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...