We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Aircraft Carriers

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

In an article in yesterday's Sunday Times it was reported that the new F35c aircraft, which have been ordered by the MoD for the Navy's new carriers, will not be able to land on them due to a design flaw.

It seems that the distance between the main U/C and the arrester hook should be about 18 to 20 feet to enable the arresting line to be caught and stop the aircraft. Unfortunately, an error in the drawings means that the actual distance is 7 feet.

It seems that a total redesign is needed and this is going to cost many pennies, adding substantially to the overall cost which may stop the MoD from ordering any of the 'planes.

Words fail me!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I suppose we could rely on the United Nations to come to our rescue. Maybe tell the Argies it's not cricket etc.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I very much doubt that we could rely on the United Nations in fact they could support Argentina.

The lessons of the past are quickly forgotten by politicians and the MOD. I don't think that we could mount another Falklands operation. The last, 30 years ago, occurred because the politicians sent the wrong signals and the lack of a deterrent. A fixed wing aircraft carrier would have been a deterrent but CVA01 was cancelled, Ark Royal and Eagle had paid off years before, and we were trying to sell Hermes and Invincible. Now we have got rid of the Harriers and don't have a carrier for years to come and there are doubts about its aircraft. On top of that we don't really have a Navy any more. The problem is paying for adequate defence in an age of austerity.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"There probably is a submarine lurking nearby,"

A submarine used to be a standard part of the Falklands Islands Standing Garrison.

Far from lurking it used to provision and rest there (The Otter, in my time).

Very hospitable, submariners, as I found to my cost (or at least my liver did)!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

morddwyd. You really shouldn't have accepted their Meths/jam butties...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

morddwyd Did you meet Nigel, a Chief Tiffy on the Otter? A great boat, pity the O class is no more.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

jb

Not that I can remember. Seem to have spent most of my time with Bernie, who was Chief of the Boat.

We were of much the same vintage and I remember the hushed silence in the mess when he was visiting one night and I said "Bernie, my son, come and sit alongside me"

A long pregnant pause while he considered his options, and a collective sigh of relief (not from me I hasten to add!) when he said, "From you, I will take that"!

A great crew, who took a lot of pleasure from extracting from me at every opportunity.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

bring back the sea harrier.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sea Harriers went some years ago.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

We were lucky to have been able to mount the campaign last time, had they waited a few more months the then government would have competed their naval cuts and we would not have had enough ships, as it was we were working flat out getting some of the ships out of moth balls!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......