We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Travel Sites?

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am thinking of travelling to Alderney in the Channel Islands. Can anyone reccommend the best/cheapest/fastest or alternative ways of getting there from the Liverpool area please? I know we have much travelled business types who use this site and thought I would tap in to their experience. I think I may be able to fly from somewhere on the south coast, maybe Southhampton or Plymouth, but all the travel sites I look at take an age to get around to the nitty gritty.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Definitely not Plymouth as the airport is closed.

Southampton seems to be the best option to fly to Alderney Visit Alderney travel

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

Definitely the puddle jumper from Southampton, or go for a two centre trip and fly from Jersey or Guernsey.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. I didn't know Plymouth was closed. Is that permanent? It would have been easier to drive down to Plymouth than to Southampton. Thanks for the help. I was hoping there was an easier way, by maybe going from an airport in the midlands but there's nowt from Liverpool area unless someone knows better.

It's usually afterwards that somebody says "Why didn't you go via so snd so".

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Plymouth is permanently closed. They couldn't make it pay. There is an action group to get it open again but already part has been sold off for housing and I expect the rest to follow eventually.

Flying to Alderney is the difficult bit. You should be able to fly from Manchester to Guernsey change airline and then hop across to Alderney or go ferry Guernsey to Alderney. You can also get to Guernsey or Jersey from Birmingham.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You can fly from Bristol to Jersey and Guernsey and Bristol is a nice airport with cheapish car parking.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bingalau. You could fly from Manchester to Southampton with Flybe and change there for Alderney.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

See here for somewhat restricted flights to Alderney with Aurigny.

http://www.aurigny.com/

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

If you want cheap then you could try a pair of flippers and goggles and start at the Mersey, turning startboard or is that port at its mouth and just keep going. Get someone to sponser you and do some good for the country at the same time. Added bonus no customs so you could sneak all your extra lucre into the Tax haven.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

the way i do this sort of thing is go to your destination airport webb site, have a look at the flight information section and see where the flights are coming in from.

noldi

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Condon - turn to port unless you want to go around Scotland.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'