We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Costa Concordia

Al94

Likes # 0

Costa Concordia is the largest passenger ship to be lost in service since RMS Titanic 100 years ago

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Add to that the effects of a tight turn while filling with water. Add to that the effects of doing so with minimal clearance under the hull while moving at speed....

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

It would appear that the Captain abandoned his command and left his passengers and crew to their fate! Here is a transcript of the radio traffic between Captain de Falco of the Livorno coastguard and Captain Schettino who was safe in his lifeboat.

Get back on-board Captain!

Was this man fit to command this vessel, or was he basically just the manager of a floating hotel? In either event it appears he is a coward!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Unbelievable, today's paper reports that the rest of the bridge crew took command during the emergency as the captain was dithering with indecision.

He was probably better off being out of the way, or even sent to Davy Jones' locker.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looking at some reports, it would appear that the worlds media are providing some very conflicting reports?.

Perhaps the 'box' and actual eye witness reports might bring a little truth on the matter, with the final investigation?.

Apparently, one of the main concerns now, is if the ship moves from its present location, because there appears to be a 300 foot shelf nearby, which if the craft ends up there, could result in an even bigger disaster. I only hope that arguments regarding salvage fees are not holding up procedures?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I only hope that arguments regarding salvage fees are not holding up procedures?."

So far as I am aware there are very rarely arguments about salvage fees. Normally done by something called "Lloyds Open Form" I think.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Regarding LOF, this website including the related information at the bottom of the website page might be worth a read?. http://www.shipbusiness.com/salvage-contract.html

Off subject, but perhaps worth thinking about. Here in the UK, the Maritime and Coastguard use 'chartered' Emergency Towing and Rescue (ETV) craft/tugs,in which the captain and tug owner company have to agree on terms before conducting a rescue, otherwise the crew do not get paid. And by all accounts these tugs might cease to exist in their present 'Coastguard' role, especially the two stationed for usage off the Scottish coast. Their contract was due to end this month, and was not going to be renewed, but due to pressure on the government, their contracts have been extended till March 2012!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The above link appears to be wrong. Try http://shipbusiness.com/salvage-contract.html

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I had to smile today,when I heard a report that the captain told investigators that he didn't leave the ship before his passengers.

Apparently he fell into a lifeboat. Lucky not to have been injured.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Lucky not to have been injured."

And it must have been very distressing for him to find it not possible to get back on board!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

"The Italian police and other authorities appear to be even more willing to pass information to the media than the worst we've seen in this country".

What about the Madeleine McCann incident, and the reports that are still in circulation?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...