We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Costa Concordia

Al94

Likes # 0

Costa Concordia is the largest passenger ship to be lost in service since RMS Titanic 100 years ago

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Yes but compare and contrast the actions of the two crews post the collisions. It seems that "women and children first" went by the board on the latest vessel, and the crew seemed very unprofessional.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

...the crew seemed very unprofessional

As did many of the crew in The Titanic.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Looking at the pictures, it would seem there was a lighthouse clearly visible.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Shifting it could prove tricky. Read what happened in Goa

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The vessel was between 3 and 4 nautical miles off the course which she uses once a week. Conditions were calm.

Something quite obviously went badly wrong, and I doubt that it will take the investigators long to find out what. The ship's black box recorder and the crew will reveal the facts.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

so so sad on the loss of life, but like graham i to was thinking how are they going to right it,and somebody has got the cost of the repairs to shell out for.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

"...the crew seemed very unprofessional"

If I was on a ship listing badly by the second, the only thing that would make sense to me would be self preservation, that's not out of selfishness, what else can you do if every thing's sliding dangerously to one side, tables, chairs, bottles, people. Calming but professional palm court quintets would be the last thing that would interest me right then.

The Titanic was unusual in that it had time for everyone to board a life boat had there been enough, but most passenger ship disasters since have happened within minutes. The RORO ferries being the quickest having huge areas low down with no stabilising bulkheads that can cause a ship to capsize in the time it takes only a few inches of water to rush to one side.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I should have added "in peacetime" in my original post

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I think pure luck was a big factor in this incident (until negligence is conclusively ruled out I refuse to call it an accident). Bad luck to run aground in the first place, but good luck to do so in mild seas, temperate climate and so close to land that people could swim to safety. Imagine the loss of life had this happened in arctic conditions while blowing a gale and the ship had coasted into enough deep water to completely submerge or capsize the hull.

Comparisons have inevitably been made with the titanic. One of the consequences of the 1912 sinking is that ships must have enough lifeboat capacity for all aboard. And yet I was struck with the picture of the concordia's side showing 2 liferafts dangling uselessly from the davits and resting on the overturned side of the hull. unless a ship is settling on a relatively even keel then the launching of boats - difficult at the best of times - is going to be a big problem. More so when an increasing list is thrown in. Such a list could quite easily incapacitate a significant percentage of the lifeboat capacity, which brings us into titanic territory.

And lastly, the numbers involved. Over 4000 people. Think about it. Four thousand. Just imagine the problems involved in getting so many people off a ship as quickly as possible in an emergency. Many of them asleep in their cabins, some under the influence of drink, most of them confused.

Cruise ship designers and operators will have a lot to think about over the next few years. They've dodged a bullet here. Next time - and there will be a next time - they and their passengers might not be so lucky.

WTM

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My point re the crew is based on reports that a)There appears to be confusion re the list of people on board; b)Some report no earlier drills were carried out so many had no idea of their muster stations; c)Passengers report crew seemed untrained in emergency drills; d) The Captain seems to have abandoned ship 3 - 4 hours before last passengers rescued, in spite of bridge still being above water. All this without prejudice to the cause of the event, yet to be determined. I am sure that some Titanic crew were unprofessional, but I still regret the apparent loss of the old tradition of the captain being the last to leave a stricken vessel, and the "women and children first" principal.The captain is being questioned on his actions by the Italian police, so no doubt more will emerge.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September