We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

War Horse Film and Book

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Last night I went to see the film "War Horse" and I must say it is absolutely brilliant. I had already read the book on my Kindle and I normally find that the film afterwards is not as good as the book. But in this case I think both film and book are exceptionally good.

By the way if you are anyway sentimental like me, then you may need a handkerchief.

Go and see it .......

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Go out to see a film?

Pay?

What a quaint concept!

(PS How do you manage volume control?)

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I either take my hearing aid out or just turn it down...

You must be very miserable or sad if you can't manage to go out occasionally to enjoy yourself. Get your debit card out and book up man. You might enjoy it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

*"I either take my hearing aid out or just turn it down..." *, you have an unfair advantage there!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Are we now going to see a series of Horse films (Like Lassie (the wonder dog)?

No; I am not going to tell you my age!!

Terry

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Having read the book I looked forward to the film with slight misgivings. I was wrong, the film is a triumph.

I thoroughly recommend it, and endorse your "... you may need a handkerchief" remark.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Watching a film on TV or on a computer is a pretty insipid experience when compared to a cinema viewing.

Paying for it is the norm, by the way - what do you do?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Get your debit card out and book up man. You might enjoy it."

My post was a bit tongue in cheek.

The last time we went the disabled facilities were adequate but not exactly good (my wife is a wheelchair user) and the volume was simply unbearable, even with ear plugs, (I have tinnitus and carry them all the time, for stores and restaurants)) and we left after less than ten minutes.

Even at home we use individually set headphones for television, and the sound on all of my computers is permanently off.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Marvellous how a film can gloss over the facts about a war, that film is very good but the ending would have been very different in real life, during that war the estimate is that some where in the region of 8-10 million horses died. We took over to France about 1 million horses the ones that didn't die in the war were left there to be butchered for food.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

morddwyd. The cinema we attend has very good facilities for wheelchair users. Maybe you need to find a more modern cinema. We use a "Vue" cinema in Southport and it is excellent. I agree that the sound is a bit on the loud side in these places and put that down to modern tastes. (You and I know that the upcoming generations will be stone deaf by the time they get to half our age and will not have a use for hearing aids at all). Meanwhile can you not find a couple of sets of ear defenders. Actually I found that although the sound hits you like a charging elephant when the picture first starts that I got used to it but of course I took my hearing aid out altogether. It is a shame that you have to miss some things in life because of your impediments. Sorry and I wish I could help.

Carver. I don't think the film does gloss over the horrors of war. It does in fact tell you of the horrible slaughter of the animals. But this film would be ideal to take a group of children to see as a history lesson, they will love it. Of course the book was originally written for children anyway. I think Spielberg and his gang have done a wonderful job on it.

Somehow though I don't fancy seeing the stage version. I enjoyed the film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" very much and then made the mistake of going to watch a theatre production of it. I still enjoy seeing the film but wouldn't dream of going to see it on the theatre again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do