We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Celebrating Ignorance

interzone55

Likes # 0

Well the US election race has started to get really dirty now.

Newt Gingrich has just released a video smearing Mitt Romney (what is it with the names of the Republican candidates?).

What do you think Mitt's offence is?

Speaking French!

Newt claims that Mitt is an elitist liberal wimp, so can't be trusted.

I really do hope that the rest of the US populace isn't as stupid as the media makes out, and they can see through the posturing during elections...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I really do hope that the rest of the US populace isn't as stupid as the media makes out

You are joking of course? I wouldn't want to dash your hopes....

the Land of the Free is populated by a few clever people and a lot of sheep ;0)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"the Land of the Free is populated by a few clever people and a lot of sheep ;0)"

As are all other countries.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have American friends who openly criticise Obama to me.

I have never known that happen before, it's usually, to non-US citizens, "The President can do no wrong".

Even at the height of the Nixon scandal I never heard an ordinary US citizen criticize him while he was still in office.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

What does your friend criticise him for? Usually Obama has two types of critics, the republicans who are now trying to rewrite history and pretend that it was Obama who destroyed their economy and democrats who are genuinely disappointed at Obama allowing the machine to curtail him.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Even at the height of the Nixon scandal I never heard an ordinary US citizen criticize him while he was still in office.

Sounds strangely like North Korea.

No-one should be beyond criticism, because anyone who is constantly surrounded by "Yes Men" will begin to think they can do no wrong, at which point they rarely get anything right...

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I have spent many weeks in the US over the last 6 years and can say that in conversation with American friends and business colleagues they were openly critical of George W Bush and Barak Obama in equal measures.

Like many Brits they have little time for any of their politicians whom they see only as desiring power. I also think there may be the beginning of a serious backlash against the huge sums of money being spent by those seeking election at a time when the average american is suffering economic hardship.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Probably the ingrained "Small Town America" attitude coming out in times of opportunity.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Sounds strangely like North Korea."

Not quite.

Americans have no compunction about criticising the President within their own country. However, in the past I have always found a reluctance to wash their dirty linen internationally. That is entirely a personal view formed from conversations with American friends.

Others will no doubt have different friends and different views.

In North Korea you dare not criticise the leader even in your own home!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd - I had US friends openly criticising the President some 20 years ago. It was fairly unusual before that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days