We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removal of polystyrene chips in loft?

Mrs fix it

Likes # 0

We are having free loft insulation done as part of government energy saving drive with EDF energy. The surveyor (sub contractor SIG Energy Management)said that they would put the top up loft insulation material over the top of existing polystyrene chips (been there since house built in 70's I think). Asked him about safety aspect after reading on-line there are issues with these chips. He said he hadn't heard of this. Customer Services advisor at SIG said she thought they should be removed too but they don't provide the service so did I want to cancel or I could remove them myself. Any thoughts as to how I go about this?

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

With care you could use a powered garden leaf collector, making sure you are wearing mouth and nose dust protection. Preferably the machine should have adjustable suction control. TC.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Just remember that if you remove the polystyrene chips yourself, they have to go to landfill, or in with your general waste, as there is nothing recyclable in them.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I don't want to alarm you but read this

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ppis1.pdf

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

namtas

The beads used in home insulation have been processed,and do not pose a gas risk.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Just put the top up layer on top of the existing polystyrene chips, after all this time you will create more of a risk if you try to remove them.

If you do want to remove them then the best way is plenty of large bags and a small plastic dust pan and brush and a lot of patience.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd leave well alone and benefit from the additional insulation.

Like this post
Mrs fix it

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies everyone. One of the safety issues I have heard about is that polystyrene can stick to electrical cables in the roofspace and over time they can damage the covering and make the wires inside brittle which could cause a problem with the electrics. I have now found a company locally who will remove the chips for me. Thanks again for all your comments.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You should also be aware that power cables are rated in free air, any insulation that is put round/over wiring will cause it to heat up slightly and overheat at normal maximum currents. Heating will make the plastic wire insulation brittle with time.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

FE

"The beads used in home insulation have been processed,and do not pose a gas risk"

Thanks for that

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Contact your local council for advice about removal or whether the original chips should be left. If they do not have a section dealing with the Environment, then they should be able to provide a contact for further advice.

You could also try one of the trade organisations that the installers are registered with, for advice and help.

If you do remove the chips, then the leaf blower-sucker method is the easy and quicker way, because it get in all the voids with less dust and disturbance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more