We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

We cannae break the laws of physics!!

interzone55

Likes # 0

I've just read a complete load of rubbish in a PCA news story

"Smartphones and tablets will also recharge faster through USB 3.0, as the power will flow faster than in USB 2.0, Ismail said."

So somehow USB 3.0 lets electricity travel faster than it's current limit of 300,000km a second.

Or maybe next time you should get a quote from somebody in the technical department rather than Marketing, and they'd tell you the USB 3.0 standard can carry more current than USB 2.0 (900mA rather an 500mA) which will speed up recharging times for devices that can support the increased current.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I can see lots of 'how do I replace the motherboard fuses?' questions.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Power = the rate at which energy is transferred = Current x Voltage.

In USB3.0, more power will be transferred per second than in USB2.0, so yes I'd say it is faster.

The article doesn't state the electrons will flow faster if you want to be pedantic.

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

alan14

if I understand your post correctly, stuff does charge faster through USB 3 than 2, but not technically in the way the article describes?

I guess for 'intermediates' like myself, I'm content with "power will flow faster..." I know what that means. Maybe for those like yourself that know about 'wiggly amps' it was factually incorrect and for a technology magazine a bit of a ricket.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Physics also states that matter cannot travel faster than light, but that is based on physics as we understand it today, In the future who knows what developments will be made by science.

Look at science / physics 100 years ago, could you have foretold what life is like today?

Terry

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 1

If electricity could flow a lot slower, I would be able to get into my bed, before it got dark, after I have flicked off the light switch on the wall.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

[matter cannot travel faster than light]

Maybe I have this wrong but the Hadron Collider just proved that the speed of light is not the fastest.Now whether that was particles or matter I don't know as I am not sure what the difference is.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

I can see how saving a couple of minutes will change everything. Same mentality as spending 17 Billion pounds building a new railway to enable passengers to save 20 odd minutes between London and Birmingham,thats when it's working though.

Like this post
Wilham

Likes # 0

I agree Alan14's 'PCA news story' can be misleading, but by way of improved design technology USB3 may help to re-charge quicker than earlier versions.

All rechargeable batteries I know have ended their manufacturing processes with several cycles of discharge/charge, it increases the capacity. The factory wants to do this asap. But power fed in is limited to prevent heat damage. Batteries are sluggish when cold, and the warmer parts of X-section conduct more current than the cooler, which exacipates the situation. It can easily get out of hand and cause thermal runaway.

The remedy is twofold... (i) Convey the current as DC pulses. This produces tiny bubbles of gas to self regulate the current, loosely called polarisation. The intervals allow the gas to escape or be chemically depolarised, and heat to disperse.

(ii) Control the max peak current in direct proportion to the to the capacity waiting to be charged. Put simply, the charging fizzles out as soon as fully charged.

Non-professional chargers part provide the above by rectifying A/C. and the o/p voltage peaks are set just above the required battery level. It is slow, lacks the sophisticaion of professional chargers.

I suggest that UB3 brings new sampling s/ware to emulate the factory control, to shorten charging time, to lessen dehydration/heat, and to save energy.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"Scotty to Captain Kirk. BBC2 TV are showin' 'the Hunt for the HIGGS' in fifteen earth minutes".

"Captain to Scotty. It must be a repeat!"

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Hmmmm. Power will flow faster.....

It could be implying a greater number of watt.hours of electrical energy transfer / consumption, which would be ok.

I don't think I'll lose any sleep over this!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015