We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looks like we're not "all in this together"

interzone55

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16440548

Record sales for Rolls Royce and Bentley sales back to pre-recession levels...

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'Looks like we're not "all in this together"'

Did you really think we were?

Luxury items like Rolls Royces and power boats etc are generally unaffected by the recession, which doesn't sxurprise me in the least.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Pine Man

Personally I'm a realist, so I believe the what comes out the mouths of any politician about a much as I believe the ravings of the drunks in Wetherspoons.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

any politicain any reporter any medical professional

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

How the PM must wish that he had never made that statement - it will haunt him for the whole of his Premiership, I reckon.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Why do any of you have a problem with Rolls Royce and Bentley selling more cars?

Substantial increases in sales by those marques mean more British jobs, even though they are not entirely British built anymore.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

You may not have understood but I think the thread is saying" Because luxury cars are still selling well, this implies the better off are not 'suffering' as much as the rest of society - because they can still afford such luxuries".

Nothing to do with the actual manufacturing or workers.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What should not be forgotten is that a significant number (if not the majority) are sold overseas. Nissan at Sunderland has seen growth too with UK sales up 18% but most go for export.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

No problem with selling more of these cars, and as Woolwell points out, it does help our exports, as the majority of Rolls Royces are sold in the Middle East and China (the biggest market now).

The problem is that we've never "been in this together"...

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I must have read the thread and forgot the title....

We never have been "all in this together". Consider, as an example, how rich The Crown and The Church were in the Middle Ages, relative to the masses.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

How's this to get the old Grey Matter working.

If you are earning more than you can spend, you will likely be looking to invest the remainder in Stocks & Shares. Why!

With Inflation running at between 4 and 5% and many Shares bringing a return of between 2 and 3% and with little, or no, appreciation in Capital Value, you will be loosing money each year.

However, buy yourself a Roller, or a Ferrari for that matter and it will increase in value, year on year. Not only that, you will become part of an exclusive Club!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen