We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC Radio 1, 2, 3, & 4 are Down

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

The Darvel Mast has been out of action because of the Storm. An annoying but, totally understandable, problem.

However, the BBC is now off the Air for the On-line Listeners as well.

The BBC Site is working but when you hit the "Listen" Button you get "Error 500" which, I believe, means that it is unable to handle the volume of Traffic.

Talk about "Unfit for purpose" or what!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's totally shocking that they couldn't foresee such a problem in their crystal ball and have had an entire standby network of transmitters at the ready for such a rare, but inconvenient event.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Quickbeam: It is not a problem that the Transmitter is down.

Your sarcasm suggests that you have not read the whole of my posting.

My beef is that their Internet Site cannot handle to volume of traffic created by several masts being out of action.

Surely, such a situation is exactly what the Internet Site was created for, the rest of the site being mere Window Dressing.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The Internet Site is functioning fully, once again

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Don't all sites suffer from overload when the normal visiting traffic is massively increased without expectation? It even happens regularly with ticket sales sites when demand is instant, and they're expecting that increased traffic.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My first reply does read a bit curt, apologies for that, it a long standing trait of mine.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Would that be the Darvel mast near Kilmarnock?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

The same Darvel mast that serves 150,000 homes?

I find it hard to envisage the small proportion of radio listeners in this area suddenly all diving for the internet player causing such a "volume of traffic" enough to bring the site down. Sorry.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe they had two separate problems and just a coincidence they happened at the same time :)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I suppose its like a lot of the services that people rely on nowadays. Re-routing will get to a point when it will not be able to cope, then what?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When SatNav does that you usually end up in a field full of cows or pigs ;]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites