We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Users desert Windows XP in near-record numbers

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

Reading that report I am struck by the way the copy is engineered to promote the current offering- not surprising really- Microsoft like all companies will only promote the latest product. I am quite happy with XP Pro[duelled with Ubuntu on same machine] and going by the tussle I had with my daughters new Win7 laptop the other day - nothings going to change any time soon for me.

I guess also the current trend to sell machines with the operating system pre installed with no support disks will make that way advance further.

I wonder what the 'stats' reveal about the sales of - ready to go- computers is over bare bones or component sales my preferred route - but then I built my own Hi Fi back in the day too. I guess the ready to go would win hands down

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I stayed with XP from its launch until 2 years ago (did not bother with W 2000 nor Vista). I dual booted for a month with XP and W7, convinced that my trusty XP was better. IMHO it was not - I like W7 and can see no advantage in retaining XP unless the equipment is old or the cost of software is too much. I will not rush into W8, however! I have bought semi bespoke ready to go - so good that the last two I bought were Dan and Evesham that both firms went belly up , I suspect because they had good (but costly) back up service. Like you in the days of (Quad) valve amps etc I assembled HiFi but these days buy ready made with add ons.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I wonder how many of the 'droves' have got new PC's or laptops and did not have a choice.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I, foolishly, inserted a microsoft windows 95 floppy disc into my microsoft XP pro computer, and now it won't boot.

(The small print on the floppy covers microsoft from blame.."For Distribution only with a new PC".

That's why I keep backup computers.

XP is a good version of windows. I have only dipped my little toe into W7, so I can't say if it improves on the user-freindliness of XP.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Windows 7 is much friendlier than XP, and a vast improvement on the dog that was Vista.

If you have a PC that works with XP, then keep it.

If your PC dies then there's no point in installing an old, no longer supported, OS on the new PC, go with W7.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Reading that report"

What report?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'no support disks'

But I have yet to come across a new machine where there is no option to burn your own recovery discs - something I do for every machine I set up for people.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia did a very good puzzle about a signpost that was blown down during a storm.(It's on the ground...with no direction known)

How would you know which way to go?

Have I gone the wrong way..FE?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Oh, it's an American report.

So we don't know if it applies to the US only, North America only, the Americas, the Western hemisphere, the world, or just Kent County, Delaware!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Once you have read the report, it 'applies' with a subliminal effect, to all and sundry.

You MUST update your computer

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes