We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extreme winds.

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've never known weather like it here on the North Northumberland coast, yesterday was bright sunshine and today the terrible wind has just blown down my front fence!! It is not a solid fence, the wind has just snapped the fence posts off at ground level.

Admittedly on checking, I have found that the wood had rotted, the fence was here when we bought the bungalow 12 years ago, but still must have needed some considerable force.

Well, it will have to wait as I need to drive to Wooler and that road may have trees down :o(

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Fingers crossed, the wind seems to have died down to a manageable level, let's hope by tomorrow it has blown itself out.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Brumas

Where I am located. its been up and down since midday, but it as now started to blow fairly hard again. plenty of damage being done.

Bin and recycling men arrived, but the recycling men gave up. Bags all over the place, and trying to catch them was a task to watch. Bins that had been left out due to people at work, were 'light-winded', and proving to be an hazard to vehicles and people alike.

Neighbour planted a tree three/four years ago, and its been trying to push my fence over. Neighbour wasn't very happy when I suggested that I was about ready to take action and prune it, if they didn't :O(

Fingers crossed for tomorrow?.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Well, it's only 55 in Florida if that makes you feel any better.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Forgot, may not display in Firefox. Dunno why.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I'm relieved to report that the high winds have abated and the weather seems to be back to normal.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

70mph forecast for tomorrow.

Just a gentle breeze then!

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

I too am relieved. As are the chaps on the roof installing solar panels.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

May be solar sails.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

When it became apparent yesterday that the winds were too much for the bin men I put my bin back in its normal place down the side of the garage, assuming I would have to wait a week.

While it is visible from the toad it is about twenty metres from the gate.

When I came back from shopping today I found that they had been around, gone and collected and emptied my bin and returned it.

That's what I call a good local council service, above and beyond what is normally expected.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I think the act of crossing my fingers etc. was in vain because the wind is now blowing harder here in our area than previously. I'm beginning to think it must be caused by the hole in the ozone layer. It's getting a little draughty. God knows what it must be like around the old Trossachs? Macscouse seems to be quiet so maybe it's even worse further north. It takes a lot to keep him quiet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer