We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extreme winds.

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've never known weather like it here on the North Northumberland coast, yesterday was bright sunshine and today the terrible wind has just blown down my front fence!! It is not a solid fence, the wind has just snapped the fence posts off at ground level.

Admittedly on checking, I have found that the wood had rotted, the fence was here when we bought the bungalow 12 years ago, but still must have needed some considerable force.

Well, it will have to wait as I need to drive to Wooler and that road may have trees down :o(

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Garage has moved slightly off its foundations making the doors jam :( We had high winds last week that blew down the next door neighbours two leylandii trees in there back-door they landed on the fence that separates their property from ours and if it had not been for the fence they would have landed on the garage, seems someone is hell bent on ruining our garage. The tress were dead after being set alight a couple of years ago by a couple of young scamps (trying to be polite)so just skeletons really, I have been waiting for some dry weather to go out and start to saw off some of the trees branches but the weather up here in Scotland has been rather damp lately. Last night the wind blew slates off a neighbours roof onto his car which was in his driveway done a lot of damage. Gusts of almost 100mph here in Paisley easing now just very wet.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This morning, whilst on my bus journey into town, I counted six big trees which had been blown over by the wind. Some had been snapped off, leaving the bright wood tree interior, others had been uprooted by the force of the wind. Many big branches were strewn about, also.

Location: Glasgow's King's Park & Queen's Park, on the southside.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Legolas

You can't complain at least you must have had some decent weather a few years ago.

[ The tress were dead after being set alight ]

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Been frightening here. Seems to be dying down a bit now though.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm just glad I'm off work for now. I enjoy a challenge in my line of work, but driving high siders isn't one of them. Besides, I've had an artic lift its wheels on me before. It's a very over rated experience!

WTM

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

The job is done and so am I.... :o{ The wind is dying down a wee bit thankfully, although the top of our neighbour's eucalyptus tree is still thrashing about like a mechanical egg whisk!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Giood news on the way. High winds have left Cornwall!"

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

I noticed a glaziers van up the road from us this morning and assumed that someones window had been blown out. I have since found out that a ridge tile from the house opposite,at least 40 yards away,had gone through their lounge window.

Now that's frightening!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Here in the sunny (now) South- Solent- we had a stiff breeze of 72mph. A mere puff compared to late 1987, when 20 million trees were down; then, I lost all my fence panels (30) and a journey of 1 1/4 hours took me 5 hours.That experience ensured that the house and garden are as well prepared as possible for current conditions. I sympathise with our Scots and Northern friends, who are having so many storms recently.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

East Midlads

Arrived home a 2pm to find one of my rear garden fence panels flapping in the breeze.

Secured it just in time before the rain stopped and wind has just died own.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today