We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extreme winds.

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've never known weather like it here on the North Northumberland coast, yesterday was bright sunshine and today the terrible wind has just blown down my front fence!! It is not a solid fence, the wind has just snapped the fence posts off at ground level.

Admittedly on checking, I have found that the wood had rotted, the fence was here when we bought the bungalow 12 years ago, but still must have needed some considerable force.

Well, it will have to wait as I need to drive to Wooler and that road may have trees down :o(

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Currently I'm listening to Radio 4, on Line. I think that the Darvel Mast is out of commission.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

91 mph recorded in Glasgow this morning .... and all of my neighbors ridge tiles are lying in my garden.

Don't mind admitting that it scares the ** out of me!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm glad I left all my big plant pots on the ground a few days ago.(even some of them have blown over since last night).

Sitting here...indoors, whilst typing this, I am experiencing the noise of the ferocious winds in stereo, from the front and back of the building.

Every few minutes there is a hush, then a crescendo of howling winds...then a hush.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I live in a park home near Morecambe, and didn't get a wink of sleep last night due to the high winds and heavy rain.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I had a hospital appointment this morning but QE2 bridge closed due to high winds and the hospital is the other side of the Thames to me. I queued for almost an hour trying to get on to M25 and finally gave up when I had been stationary for 40 minutes. I can't get hold of consultants secretary so I think she is in the same jam as I was.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

High winds in my inland location of the country. Had to do some minor repairs this morning (just before the clouds opened to torrential rain), but the worst scene is the rubbish that as blown from the bins and bags, that has scattered all over the area. No waste disposal collection before Christmas, so extra amounts today, including extra Christmas waste!.

Bin man have just been, and emptied what was left in the wheelie bins. Recycle people are due later, but what will happen to the remains. The council street cleaners have 'surveyed' the area (rain stopped play so far), and for the first day back for them, it sure doesn't look very inviting?.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Just returned with a 5 foot fencing post, after I have eaten let battle commence!! The journey was interesting to say the least - one dutch barn was being methodically stripped of it's corrugated roofing by the incessant wind, elsewhere branches were down. That's what scared me most - I didn't fancy colliding with a corrugated steel frisbee!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

East Coast: I'm waiting for wind and rain to ease enough for me to tackle a 6' fencing panel that thinks it's a flag. Have got three fence posts propped and tethered to the washing post.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looks like people using wooden fence post, might now need to think about using concrete posts. A little bit dearer, but much wiser?.

Just before Christmas we were contemplating replacing some of our wooden fence panels, and thought a January visit to one or more of the local manufacturer's might help support a lull in business. Looking and listening, that lull might now not be so?.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

got to reach winds of 118 kph to be a hurricane, i was recently out at sea in 117 kph gale force 11, the winds around here today are gusty but not as bad as a force 11

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...