We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Remote Controls

amonra

Likes # 0

Why Oh Why can't the electronic industry try and standardise the layout of remote controls for all the TVs, DVD players, satellite receivers, etc. etc. Since xmas (new tv)I have really had to concentrate hard when trying to mute something, or switch inputs, the da*n things all look the same. My eyesight doesn't help neither. Anyone else get this trouble ?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Yes!

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

No, just let my six year old grandson do it all for me!!!

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

fed up with my many remotes and treated myself to this one for all xcite touch http://www.oneforall.com/en_UK/product/29/xsight-touch . even works my fan heater. love it

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

It would make life too easy, even if you buy a TV and DVD/HD player from the same manufacturer you may find that the remotes are different even though you can control both from one remote.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I know! I have just set up my TV tuner and had to count the buttons on the remote as you can set it up to 22, 42 or 45 button remotes.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Even better - my PS3 remote control for Blu-Ray playback uses Bluetooth, I've yet to find a One-4-All type remote that will combine everything including the PS3

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Alan have a look at the Logitec Harmony 650 £45 at Currys. It's the only remote that fully controls my Onkyo home theatre system plus my Panasonic TV,Panasonic Freesat DVD and the Pace Sky satelite receiver.

If by any chance there's a certain function not present, you can teach it from your original remote. To program the Harmony it's necessary to connect to the Logitec web site. Once programmed all the codes are stored on the Logitec database, so if needed you can always access them.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

hssutton

The PS3 uses Bluetooth for communication rather than infra-red, so the only remote you can use is the PS3 model, which is only £15, so it doesn't break the bank, but it's a pain that you can't use the same control for your TV & PS3

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've been using a Philips programmable remote for some years now to work just about everything TV & hifi related. I'd like a phone app that could do all that, that should be feasible in this day and age.

Then when I'm in the dentist's waiting room I could surreptitiously keep switching the channel over from Jeremy kyle to sponge Bob:)

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I can tell you one not to buy.

I thought I had found the answer to all my remote needs in the Casio 1174 fully programmable remote control wrist watch.

wrist watch remote

It does what it says but working it is a bit like a Mensa test. It took days to program and then you forget how to access all the different stored settings and it is so fiddly I think is just a gimmick watch.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July