We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pyrotechnic coloured lights

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

.. to celebrate the New Year. Watched most of it on TV and was awesomely underwhelmed. What a waste of money that could be better spent in other areas in these hard, world wide, (supposedly) times. Is it me being a grumpy old sod or what?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well I'm glad that I'm a grumpy old sod and getting grumpier. World economy on the blink, ours bad to say the least, and all here think it's wonderful to burn gunpowder once a year to see different coloured flames in the sky. Take a tiny example, from all of the countries that celebrate 1st January, and the City spends £1.9 million pounds for a 'spectacular' fireworks display. Lasts 14 minutes at most. 250,000 people come to watch.

From where? Abroad?

Thought they also spent a wasteful amount of money on gunpowder so why would they come here?

cycoze, what are you waffling about?

All I'm saying is that we're in an economic crisis and as a country we should act as appropriate? Either we all tighten our belts or we don't. Simple as that.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

"All those £1m plus bankers bonuses flowing back to where they came from Eh!"

A remark that clearly illustrates your total lack of knowledge about how the business works. If bankers' bonuses were really given back to the sources from which they originated the money would largely end up in the accounts of big businesses and overseas investors.

If you think that £1million bonuses are paid entirely from the money that's made from the private accounts of ordinary people you are sadly misinformed.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

First Bus 'tightened' their belts by providing a Saturday bus service throughout this week, to the chagrin of workers.

The public want basic services to run...not EYE CANDY.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

What on earth has that got to do with a firework display in London?

Firstbus is a PLC, not a Council-operated service. It isn't funded with public money.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Your right FE,there is no material connection between the two.But people, who are struggling to get to work,and other bus users,who have had to squeeze onto public transport this week,might have the same viewpoint as me.Members of the public who do not depend on public transport might see things differently.

I am not a grumpy old so and so...and neither are you, rdave13.

Good News:- First Bus are on a normal Saturday service today...and I'm off to catch the Number 5 :0]

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

F/E your 9.44 response to my 12.10 PM of the fifth

I do have some graspt of the technicalities of high finance

Hence my tempering comment of

FAT CHANCE

I guess reading a post is one thing and taking in the subtleties is another

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

fourm member I certainly agree with the statement that money is 'wasted' on the children. I waste money on them year after year at Christmas as the magic of the moment, for them, is just that. A few days on and the gifts aren't as important now for them. When they grow up then Christmas will have a different meaning and they will budget for it, just to see their children's expressions on that day. Note we're talking about paying for magic for children, not adults, who should know better?

Technology is there to make spectacular light shows in the sky without burning gunpowder, takes a bit of electricity, but surely better than using age old Chinese technology that really should be pushed to the annals of history?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days