We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pyrotechnic coloured lights

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

.. to celebrate the New Year. Watched most of it on TV and was awesomely underwhelmed. What a waste of money that could be better spent in other areas in these hard, world wide, (supposedly) times. Is it me being a grumpy old sod or what?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's a waste of money...which could have been used to provide public transport for people who have to work on 1st January, and depend on buses, trains...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...in saying that, Glasgow (mainly First Bus) had no buses running today, or this evening...a policy, which I think is bonkers.

Hospital staff and ASDA staff had to get taxis to get to work this morning...and the fares were double the norm :o(

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

The money generated in London last night must run into millions all going back into the economy of London.

If every body who watched last night only spent £20 each on entertainment/drinks transport it will have brought in about 50 million pounds, now that will more than pay for a few fireworks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It's a waste of money...which could have been used to provide public transport for people who have to work on 1st January, and depend on buses, trains..."

What nonsense. If you want to join a discussion you might at least take the trouble to post sensibly.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I think I am with carver on this one. You have to speculate to accumulate, the money spent on the fireworks and the forthcoming Olympics and diamond jubilee celebrations will bring much needed investment and hard currency into the country.

It might seem like a lot to pay out but the returns should be well worth it! I say this being not a sports fan, I will take only a fleeting interest in the games, but they will showcase our country to the world.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

"it was paid for from the Mayor's budget". His budget comes from where?

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Earthquakes, Tsunami's, Hurricanes, Debt, wars, yes life is very tough for a lot of people! so a fantastic fireworks show really is nice to see, people coming together to unite in a celebration, great stuff!

Yes money could be used elsewhere, but lets face it, every government and most households have wasted money in others opinions, and will continue to do so, is a bit of frivolity occasionally such a crime? I don't think so.

So easy for people to complain about everything these days, "it's not fair" is heard so much, well life is not fair at times and we have to deal with it best we can, but I don't think stopping fun events like this is the way to go.

Remember the Dustbin man from Swaffham who won around £10 million on the lottery, so many people complained how he wasted it, they forget it was his money to do what he wanted with, he undoubtedly made the local estate agents and car dealers, shops etc happy, and paid more tax than most of us ever will! so not wasted, just spent how he saw fit.

I can remember about 20 years ago reading an article that if all the worlds money was divided up equally we would all be worth £10k, maybe that's what we should do, start again and everyone get an equal share worldwide, from the rich to the starving, I know it will mean people having to sell their homes and cars, but at least it would be Fair, somehow do not think that would catch on, do you?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

cycose

"maybe that's what we should do, start again and everyone get an equal share worldwide, from the rich to the starving,"

Within a short time of that happening there would be rich people and starving people again. It's a simple fact of life that some people have what it takes to make money and accumulate wealth, and some don't. There's nothing inherently wrong with making lots of money - we would all like to do it if we could.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

FE I agree, I was trying to make a point in my round about way that most people in Countries like ours would freak out if it was suggested that they gave up some of their wealth to share with poorer peoples, i'm not so good with putting my point across and was trying not to come across sarcastically.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Cycoze You wrote

Countries like ours would freak out if it was suggested that they gave up some of their wealth to share with poorer peoples,

I like it

All those £1m plus bankers bonuses flowing back to where they came from Eh!

Fat Chance

Though it should happen and a government worth its salt would see that it does- they have the power after all they/we general public and shareholders own the banks or do we?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014