We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pyrotechnic coloured lights

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

.. to celebrate the New Year. Watched most of it on TV and was awesomely underwhelmed. What a waste of money that could be better spent in other areas in these hard, world wide, (supposedly) times. Is it me being a grumpy old sod or what?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Is it me being a grumpy old sod or what?"

Yes, in my opinion it is. There are times in life when it's enough just to have fun, and a free firework display, such as the one staged on the River Thames tonight was spectacular.

We don't have to be deadly serious about life every minute of every day. Like most Londoners I helped to pay for tonight's show, and I'm happy to do it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

" and a free firework display "

" Like most Londoners I helped to pay for tonight's show "

Says it all really.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Says it all really."

Erm.. yes, it does. It was free to anyone who wanted to watch it, regardless of where they came from, and it was paid for from the Mayor's budget.

What's to say? You asked if you were being "a grumpy old sod", and I said that in my opinion you were. If you can't handle honest opinions without resorting to silly 'says it all really' comments you shouldn't ask the question in the first place.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Cool down will you?

What is wrong with my opinion and reply? What makes it 'silly'? It might be silly in your opinion but to me spending millions world wide to burn powder in the sky just for one day seems much more sillier than not doing so. Adults behaving like children seems more appropriate.

New years eve is just another day. Time the world grew up.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Very pretty, but can't be doing much for global warming!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

There are at least two sections of the global population who really appreciated the world wide displays as the bewitching hour passed over them.

The Chinese Pyrotechnic factory workers and owners and the Pyro technicians who were paid for set up the shows for our bemusement or delectation- according to ones individual view of life.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"Is it me being a grumpy old sod or what?" have to agree with you on that sentence.

It made countless people happy all over the world and that you can't put a price on and as SparkyJack has stated it kept some of the population in work.

Next thing is you will be wanting to stop Xmas because of all the wrapping paper and sellotape thats wasted every year.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

carver, not really. We've all got to tighten our belts because of the state of the economy. How much did that display cost in London? Wondering if perhaps a lazer light show would have been the way forward? Cheaper possibly and better for the environment.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I agree totally with the FE on this one.

For Heaven's sake, it's just one night of the year when we see in the New Year, what's the problem with having a bit of fun and entertainment?

Some people need to lighten up and start enjoying the short life they have in this world. The time to be grumpy is when you're dead and you've got trillions of years to enjoy it!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

rdave13

The only way out of a recession is for money to start moving round again - tightening our belts and closing our wallets will just lead us deeper down the pit.

This is the mistake (one of the many) that Thatcher made, and it lead to 3+ million unemployed and double figure interest rates, and it looks like Dave & Gideon are going to make the same mistake again...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK