We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Home printing, a change happening now - this year ?

Diemmess

Likes # 0

Prediction for 2012

Gazing in my Crystal Ball - All-in-one inkjets will keep most happy with their correspondence, but I think the mid range printer will soon cease to appeal to the Happy Snapper.

Top of the range inkjet printers may still appeal to printers for special commercial work.

I awoke to this idea when asking among friends who take their hobby seriously, and found they use the photo services anyone can find on the net and seem to grade the product very good to excellent. They claim that the services are not expensive and the results are in most cases superior to their own efforts. They get their kicks from fiddling with Photoshop and later mounting if they are that good.

I only asked because I use a mono laser for routine and realise my aged Epson Photo printer will still do for occasional really urgent stuff. So this Christmas' family snaps are in the post, on their way back to me.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Slightly off topic.....

I was given a Veho negative scanner as a Christmas present. I've been going through all my old negatives, even the Black and White ones, and putting them on my computer. A lot of the old prints had been lost over the years especially of my children when they were small. What memories they are bringing back!!

Best present for years!

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

You have made my point in a way...... Colour laser, special paper, and lamination......... Fine for your purpose but not a cheap alternative for family pictures by the average newby, who will buy a budget 3-in-1 and yearn for something better.

hssutton, you have long professional experience, and the right array of software to make the best of any picture. I presume that you calibrate your printer regularly too. Maybe no longer a working professional but always making the best in long trusted ways........

.......Again, not a typical Happy Snapper who will buy weighing his budget against [for him] a new technology I guess there will be a significant change in the market of inkjet printers this year?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Diemmess

I made your point

Absobloominglutly- Process shop prints are better and cheaper in my opinion than any 'Home' method by ink jet and ink jet gloss, and proper photoprints on photographic paper into the bargain

The laser/Laminate method if grouped on a page and cut is just about competative only just,

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

We have recently purchased a mono chrome laser printer by Samsung. It was mainly down to my missus studying and printing essays and stuff. We had bought one of the "cheapest ink jets to run" or so they say by Kodak. We were using so much ink though it was not saving us any money at all compared to an old Canon inkjet which was a brilliant little printer. The Kodak also regularly chewed paper up in continuous jams which was very frustrating.

Any photos I need printing now, I just take to Asda and get them done there, it's cheaper in the long run I think.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Diemmess

Yes I calibrate my monitor on a regular basis using the Syder 2 Suite which reminds me once a month to calibrate my monitor. This ensures that my prints at home are as near as possible to monitor and prints from Photobox.

Obviously cost as a bearing, but having spent a small fortune on cameras, monitor and software I do want the best possible print.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'