We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Know your home Wi-Fi?

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Over Christmas I've been with my wife's family, generally trouble-shooting (not always successfully!) all their general home PC, mobile and network issues.

At each home I've come across the fact that no one knows their Wi-Fi password or the location of the router, and some didn't even know their broadband provider.

How many people here know or keep a record of their Wi-Fi passwords, SSID, ISP username, etc?

From my experience over the past couple of weeks I suspect many households are wholly unprepared for a little network system failure and reset.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Simply access the router on each PC.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have 2 'little black books' one for home and the other for work that are getting full of network addresses, passwords, user names and other such like info.

Our works network demands new passwords every 30 days for each sever connection and you cant have more than 3 letters in the same place in the new password as in any of your last three passwords and you cant use one that you have used in the last year!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It does make you wonder how they managed to get their internet set up and running in the first place (scratches head in puzzlement) and for those who didn't know who their ISP was, who is paying the bills?

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

I set up all the relations and friends networks. They know all the settings they need. I keep a back up for them.

Graham*

depends on router. a belkin would be belkin router

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

This is really an indication of how reliable computer technology has become. Like you, I come across lots of people who haven't a clue when it comes to router passwords - not only home users, either.

I know of at least one solicitor's office where nobody knew where the router was, and when I found it nobody knew what the admin password was,or the SSID, or anything at all about it. The broadband connection had been working flawlessly for so long that they all took it for granted.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

I remember the first time I needed to network two computers so we could share a single dial-up connection.

One was a laptop running Win 95 and the other was a PC with Win98SE.

I had to buy a ISA network card for the PC, and a PCMCIA network card for the laptop.

The netbui settings had to be programmed into the ISA network card, then I had to set up a network, and the internet connection sharing. All in it took me the best part of a weekend to get working.

By contrast last year I bought a Dell netbook from PC World on Tottenham Court Road. I walked across the road, entered McDonalds, bought a coffee and took a seat. Turned on the netbook, opened Internet Explorer, entered The Cloud login details and I was online. From purchase to reading my email in less than 15 minutes, and that time included buying a cup of coffee

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just had a look for my code and couldn't find it. Then when I looked at the router I found I'd taped it to the base of the unit. That must be 5 years at least with no problems.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Back in the early days of Wireless home networks it was quite an ordeal to set up a router supplied by the ISP and many only had WEP encryption. PCW used to charge £50 to do it for you and believe me they had plenty taking them up!

Nowadays it's almost too simple - plug'n'play as it were. The problem is that people just don't look at the whole picture anymore as long as it works! I can go to troubleshoot a wireless router and when you scan what's available there's usually 3 Sky routers or Virgin Routers to choose from. Do you think the users actually know which one is theirs? They don't even know that it's probably on the bottom of the router with the Encryption key - the number of times they have been trying to connect to the wrong one is unbelievable.

Most don't realise that a simple reboot of the router will cure the problem and with Virgin Routers the default password to access the router is "changeme" ...... which I do!

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I secure my home network by not broadcasting SSID, WPA encryption and locked to specific MAC addresses. It is this last one that very few people know about when talking to others about netword security.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

locked to specific MAC addresses

Quite often the reason some people cannot connect a new machine to their home network even when they know the password.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad