We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hard water v bottled water

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

The reason for my post is we live in a very hard water area which destroys our coffee machine, on the last machine used a brita filter for all its water but no joy despite regular descalling.

its been suggested to use bottled water, but on reading the labels they all have high mineral content does this mean they too are very hard water?

had given up on coffee machines and gone back to the jar, but a recent med holiday got the taste back again for good coffee.

any views, idea's welcome

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just use moderately priced paper filter coffee makers that cost no more than 15/20 quid, when the elements fail I just buy another. About 18 months is the normal life of them for me.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I haven't tried it, but have you considered something like this

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Our water comes from a bore hole at the moment, so is pretty hard. This is annoying because mains water in these parts is lovely.

We use a Brita Maxtra filter, which takes out most of the hardness and my kettle remains largely scale free. Not sure how they'd fair with a high pressure coffee machine.

Aqua Optima Evolve cartridges fit the Maxtra filters and are very cheap on Amazon at the moment

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

onthelimit my plumbing skill are non existant.

alan that is what we used last time the brita maxtra but it did not stop the hard limescale

any other ideas welcome

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

You can get an electronic version which does not need any plumbing skills as all you do is wrap a wire round the inlet pipe a dozen or so times and switch on. Apparently they work well, never need replacing and use minimal electricity. Probably good for all the other electrical appliances which use water like your kettle and washing machine.

If you travel overseas a lot where drinking water is not the norm from the tap you will see many gadgets which do need plumbing in but they not only get rid of scale but most of the other things which worry some people in our water. My apartment in Bangkok has an industrial sized one which gives you drinking water for about 2p a litre which is cheaper than bottled water which is actually very cheap to buy compared to here in the UK. Nestles or Singha bottled water only costs about 30p for 5 litres. Personally I think people are mad to pay for bottles water in the UK.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You could always soften your water?

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

"You can get an electronic version which does not need any plumbing skills as all you do is wrap a wire round the inlet pipe a dozen or so times and switch on" Sorry, but if these worked, then all the firms manufacturing water softeners in the world would be out of business overnight.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"they all have high mineral content does this mean they too are very hard water?"

No. It is only specific minerals that causes "hard" water in the sense we use the term, calcium and magnesium compounds mainly.

Check where your bottled water comes from. If it comes from "deep in the Kentish countryside (or any other hard water area) it may be hard.

If it comes from "the granite of Dartmoor" or similar, it should be soft.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thank you for the continue replies, they are useful.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

namtas

"Sorry, but if these worked, then all the firms manufacturing water softeners in the world would be out of business overnight."

I doubt it. The electronic devices don't 'soften' hard water, they remove and prevent limescale formation, and the better ones are extremely effective.

Drinking hard water reduces your risk of heart disease.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad