We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Decorating may have saved my life.

Blackhat
Resolved

Likes # 0

Doing the kitchen this break and after stripping wall paper I was tidying up and could hear a buzzing sound, first thoughts were of an insect caught in the paper on the floor but after clearing up could still hear it.

What had happened was that water from stripping the paper had dropped onto the gas pipe that led to my cooker and a small leak was causing the water to bubble creating the buzzing sound!

How lucky was that? It is a very small leak at the site of a connection and could have been leaking for a long time but you cannot tell, anyway, gas off at meter for now.

Query, do I call British Gas or a local engineer? Probably covered on house insurance but need to check.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Inside the property I would think a local engineer

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If one leaking there may be a possibility that there are others leaking also.

I know British gas can do a leak test at the meter to find out if there is still gas leaking when that fault has been repaired.I would imagine the Local engineer would be able to do the same but may not have the proper equipment with him.

Ask the Local engineer if he can also do the leek test at the meter just to be in the safe side.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Very lucky break you had.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Local Engineer, it's on your side of gas meter.

I had similar leak on a pipe to gas fire in a previous property, they are hard to trace.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

After I bought my council house,several years ago, a yearly gas check, is now my responsibility to arrange and pay for.

I haven't had one done for two years.

Who else is in this situation?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

A local engineer is what you need, make sure they are Gas safe registered. They will have the equipment and should always do a gas pressure test at the meter after any pipe work is done.

You can find a gas safe engineer from Click here you can also check an engineers gas safe licence number by clicking on check gas engineer to the right.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AitchBEE, I hope no-one else is in same situation.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - An annual gas service/safety check is essential. People can die from carbon monoxide poisoning. As lotvic says no-one should be in that situation.

Blackhat - A Gas safety local engineer is what I would use. One with personal recommendations and not purely from the gas safe site. He or she will have the right equipment to check for any other leaks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Checking for gas leaks on pipe joints (they usually occur at compression joints) is a relatively easy process. Get an empty liquid soap bottle and put an inch of washing up liquid into it. Then add an inch of water and shake gently.

Squirt a little of the resulting mixture onto the suspect joint and watch - you'll see large bubbles forming and bursting if there's a leak.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Thanks all for advice, I have website for local gas guys, will see to it in the morning,

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers