We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tesco !!!!

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Our local Tesco has shelves packed with Easter Eggs today !!!!!

This is getting stupid imho.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Tesco are not stupid but the people who buy them this early are. Tesco only put on shelves what people will buy.

Like this post  
SB23

Likes # 0

Its been like it for years

When I worked for them in the late 80's, and early 90's as a warehouse assistant, my first day back after Xmas was spent in the racking squeezing Easter Eggs in alongside the "old Xmas stock". 4 Cadbury lorries turned up first day back after Xmas, I even remember one of the drivers saying to my boss that more were on the way, as they, (Cadbury's) had to start emptying their own warehouses to make more room, as the Easter Eggs had been in production since the summer. I was with them for years, and every Xmas / New year was the same Its not stupid, it retail.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My son, who works for Tesco, says that people will be buying Easter eggs tomorrow. he says they sell lots of them immediately after Christmas, which is why - as has already been pointed out - they put them on the shelves.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

When working at a catalogue shop the Autumn Winter catalogue hit the shelves the second week of July. At the back the Christmas decorations were listed.

We could guarantee that at least one customer would buy a tree in the first week...

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

This is getting stupid imho.

How can it be stupid stocking items that people want to buy?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

And in the middle of July, just before the kids break up for the summer holidays, the Back to School stock hits the shelves.

If you really want your head messed up, the retail buyers will now start looking at what to stock up on for next Christmas...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"A woman on the news, during a voxpop of the sales crowds, said she buys next year's presents in the sales."

For the last fifty years (maybe longer, but I haven't known her that long!) my wife has invariably bought next year's presents, and Christmas cards, and crackers, and any decorations that needed replacing or updating, during the "January" (that's what they used to be called) sales.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I don't really see a problem here. Shops exist to sell things, and they'll stock what people want to buy.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Err not exactly, in particular this demonstrates the retailer enticing the customer to purchase products the retailer wants to sell, a subtle difference. Ok, so that may be retailing but who in their right mind wants to see Easter produce for sale in Christmas week. more than three months before Easter? I must say, we have decimated the amount we spend in the big retailers having made a conscious decision to support local independent businesses which has been an interesting experience in terms of better quality and value for money

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

" and they'll stock what people want to buy"

Try telling that to our local Tesco supermarket, and I would suspect that its similar elsewhere. Because in the main they will only stock and sell items that offer them the biggest profit. We have had items that people wanted, then found that Tesco no longer stocked the items. Asking the staff why, is usually met with all sorts of answers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded