We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Must Pay More Attention!

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've suddenly realised that it crept up on me again.

Two days to go and I haven't even been up in the loft to find the decorations, let alone tested the lights!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Seems I only just beat you to it then, now got tree up and done but no lights as yet.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ours went up a bit earlier this year as our grandson is now old enough to enjoy them.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I bought new LED lights in the sales last year so mine were up early as I was dying to try them out. Best move I ever made as I didn't have to check 100 bulbs looking for the one or two that weren't working. Even putting up the ones outside was not a chore as I knew they would all work first time. Morddwyd I recommend you go down the LED route.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Not sure I want to go down such a radical route.

I remember I had some red ones on a watch I had and they weren't very good!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have a look at B&Q they've got sale on for Christmas lights, and LED is the way to go. The sale prices are cheap, am off to get some rope lights for a fiver. Some good sets for £2 as well.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

It vwas my daughter who was prepared to make a 100 mile round trip- Hertfordshire to Kentvia M25 to ensure I had a set of decorations to put up that put me to shame- so I dug out the dusty old 20 year old tree and it baubles[even older] and the ;lghts and made sure they all worked -otherwise I would not have bothered.

I have also noticed the around my area the most over the top lit up residences are in the main asian families- they seem to be into the celebration more than us 'natives though of course it may be at this time your they have an event to celebrate - not Christmas at all.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Light, takes place around this time of the year.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Our tree is still in the loft and will remain there. I've refused to bring it down this year.

The loft hatch has always been awkward* to open, having to lift it up a few inches, juggle to one side and then slide along. Now we have the 270mm of loft insulation it's almost impossible to open and even more difficult to close again, so it will take something more important than a tree to get me up there.

*When the house was built, the electricians ran wiring across the hatch opening, the joiners constructed a plinth for the water tank that overlaps the opening and the roofers put a diagonal bracing strut between the roof trusses that crosses the hatch........other than that access is unobstructed.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Oresome I guess your house must have been built by.......Irish Poles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days