We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Conversations in a suana

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Whilst 'chilling' in the sauna after a work out - the chat usually centres around footy or what the season plans are so the the following piece made a welcome change and to me a surprising piece of information.

One of us described the latest antic of a truck driver trying to fit his 10 ft wide container truck up a 6 foot alley - because that what the sat nav told him, and the thousands of pounds worth of damage to vehicle and property it caused.

I added my comment of frequently seeing large vehicles wending their way up my road when in fact they should be one road to the north- including on one occasion a transporter with 10 cars up- and the sight of the driver trying to back into a cul de sac to turn back the way he came from.

One of us, a driving instructor, commented that none of this is necessary now because there are now 'Large vehicle' cards available now and he remarked on a friend who used such a device because he draws a caravan when on vacation.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

alan14- they wouldnt be permitted to 'overnight' so close to the depot. Another driver would be sent out in a van to bring the truck back.

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

WTM

What about Eddie Stobart, don't they have on-site parking with recreation/washing/toilet facilities for drivers staying over night?.

Also on a recent television program series about Eddie Stobart, there appeared to be penalties for too early or too late deliveries. Plus other devices and methods that observed what the trucks and drivers were doing, at any given time?.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

On site parking with recreation facilities. Hmmm. Have to think about that. In the past it usually meant 4 plastic chairs and a formica table in an unheated hut stinking of stale cigarettes with a tv set that you werent allowed to change the channel on.

Showers. About 10 years ago I used to be a subbie (the lowest form of life) for a lerge transport company on birch industrial estate. They had showers, which also were in an unheated building. They were electric, and you had to ask at the transport desk to use them. They would give you 5 minutes to get back to them then press a button on a timer that gave you 1 minute of hot water, no more. But no restrictions were placed on the use of cold showers.

Toilet facilities for drivers. Trust me on this when I say you really dont want me to start discussing this here and now.

As for stobarts themselves, you are asking the wrong person. As a former owner driver who lost all his work and truck to the green menace deadheading back empty from their delivieries I hold my hand up to more than a slight bit of prejudice on their part. (6 months later my former customers contacted me saying it was the worst thing they had ever done, with erratic service and an uncaring attitude being their reward for saving 2% on their transport costs, and could I resume service? but it was too late then as I had already sold up)

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow