We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Conversations in a suana

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Whilst 'chilling' in the sauna after a work out - the chat usually centres around footy or what the season plans are so the the following piece made a welcome change and to me a surprising piece of information.

One of us described the latest antic of a truck driver trying to fit his 10 ft wide container truck up a 6 foot alley - because that what the sat nav told him, and the thousands of pounds worth of damage to vehicle and property it caused.

I added my comment of frequently seeing large vehicles wending their way up my road when in fact they should be one road to the north- including on one occasion a transporter with 10 cars up- and the sight of the driver trying to back into a cul de sac to turn back the way he came from.

One of us, a driving instructor, commented that none of this is necessary now because there are now 'Large vehicle' cards available now and he remarked on a friend who used such a device because he draws a caravan when on vacation.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

The satnav's for everyone,can be purchased for under £50.The last time I looked at satnav's for HGV's,the prices were in four figures.It doesn't take a genius to do the maths to understand why ordinary satnavs get used by all,especially when you consider that the special satnavs are needed perhaps once or twice a year.Added to this problem is the drivers are of foreign origin & don't understand the roadsigns,which is why we were faced with a lengthy journey to a nearby village as an artic had attempted to negotiate a minor road and got stuck on a humpback bridge damaging the bridge in the process.The artic had to be cut up to remove it from the minor road,the bridge had to be rebuilt & as a result the road was closed for almost six months.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"drivers are of foreign origin & don't understand the roadsigns" ???

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Qb

I'm with you!

One of the reasons we had to change many of our road signs a few years ago (remember the hand holding a torch, which indicated a school?) was to make them the same as those used on the mainland.

I remember somebody commenting once on how sensible it was of the Germans to adopt the same blue motorway signage as us.

He was a bit put out when I pointed out that the Germans had motorways, and signage, some thirty years before the UK had such a "major breakthrough"!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"remember the hand holding a torch, which indicated a school?" No, I must be too young;)

Even looking it up, I find that the old Janet & John gaily stepping off the kerb with satchels swinging school sign, is the oldest one I can recall.

Even the old British road signage has pretty obvious pictograms to non-British drivers, the change only gave us a Europe wide standard.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Note how an innocently worded statement can now have a sexual connotation with the changes in the use of words over the years...

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

To what what were you alluding too when you wrote

'Note how an innocently worded statement can now have a sexual connotation with the changes in the use of words over the years.'..?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. My Australian friends were amused by a local road sign pointing to "Public Hard" ...where boats can be launched of course!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

We may have gone a deviation too far here, it's only a matter of time before the decent public of Mornington Crescent are offended by the antics of when Terry meets Julie on the Waterloo sunset express.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

QB Got it.

But it took a while- I am very old you know, and 'straight'

There was a family photo portrait studio in this town- going back the 50 plus years I have lived here - called Go Gay

One day a few years back I noticed the signage had changed it was now called Go Gaze-

that took a while to sink in why.

Innocent and old that's me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days