We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I Peaked Too Early!

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Being ahead of the game, and starting early I managed to get all my Christmas shopping in early in the month.

Now I'm out of mince pies, sausage rolls and Christmas cake and have to start again!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Quickbeam: ~ I beg to differ, although any Christmas Pud over 2 years old would need very special attention before cooking.

Traditionally they are made in the late Summer, for consumption in December, there is no reason why one should not use one made in the previous couple of years, or even more. The addition of a little Cider, about a couple of weeks before a long slow cooking, is advised, to counteract the natural drying of the fruit.

While at Browns, working as a Pastry Chef, I bought a number of the unused Puds one Christmas. We finished the last one, 6 years later ~ Magic.

In the recipe: Cider, Guinness, Rum, Brandy and Marsala

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I don't like Christmas pud. But in its place I will scoff a large homemade apple pie. Loaded on top with oodles of double cream... It will not have any rum in it of course but I think I will add that later.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Don't forget my annual tip on sprouts (which I love).

Buy them "on the stalk" cut the base and stand them in water outside the door.

They keep for weeks and you can pick frost touched sprouts in your jim jams!

Incidentally, I am well into my round of sampling festive menus at local hostelries.

I am so far up to 12, but that includes a couple of repeat visits to one or two.

No out and out rejects to which I would not return as yet!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...