We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Text Mistakes in Kindle Books

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I know there are a few of us who own and love our Kindles. However I am hoping someone knows how to get in touch with the powers behind the publication of the books. To try to find out how to correct the errors (rats) in the text. I do not profess to be a professional reader, (I was a compositor by trade many years ago though) but I am reading a book at the moment that would benefit from even a few alterations from me. I know it is possible to add notes in the margins etc., but it would be great if one could suggest where a mistake lies in the text so that someone behind the throne could rectify it, thereby making it more pleasurable to other readers yet to come.

I have been reading through the various forums but can find none relating to quality of text. Perhaps someone else knows how to find a contact point?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I would also be interested in the answer, not for spelling or punctuation, but for formatting. I have just finished a book where the formatting was so bad it made it quite unpleasant to read.

I tried the various different settings but nothing helped.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Amazon originally added the keyboard to the kindle with the idea that users could correct books, which would then automatically update every time you synchronised the device to collect a new book.

I would imagine the publishers prevented this, and maybe the mess that some wikipedia articles become made them have second thoughts.

As for your original question, Amazon are not the publishers, and have no input into the content of books. You will need to contact the publisher directly...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree, it does spoil my enjoyment when errors abound. The proofreaders don't seem to be top notch these days.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was listening to an audiobook by Bernard Cornwell, when surprisingly the reader said "it was zero degrees". I thought it a bit incongrueous.

The novel was set in the middle-ages.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Proof reading is only done by the original publisher.

It is my understanding that conversion to Kindle format is automatic, and software based.

Like many such systems there are glitches.

I seem to recall Amazon themselves warning about changes in format and spelling.

If the book is unreadable then I'm sure they will issue a refund.

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It is as I thought then, not much can be done by the reader. I have also just realised that the book I am reading was not downloaded from amazon, but from another site. (I got about two hundred freebies but this is the first one I have read. It is "Master and Commander") I am enjoying it but it would be nicer without the mistakes in the formatting etc.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Alas, it is a common problem. It only takes a couple of errors to make the reader (me) spend more time looking for errors and not enjoying the read. A little while ago my local freebie newspaper was so riddled with spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and misused words that I spent a happy hour or two highlighting them and then sent it back to the publisher. - it has not improved!

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

"I have also just realised that the book I am reading was not downloaded from amazon, but from another site"

Hi Bingalau, interested about the site you downloaded other books from besides amazon. I bought my wife a KINDLE for her birthday and she seems to think you can only download books from Amazon.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I have some books I downloaded for free, and it appears that the ebook conversion involved scanning in a paper copy of the book then using OCR to create a word file.

This is evident as some common OCR mistakes crop up, like joining two words together or changing l into t etc

I think they may use something like this http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/book-saver

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Can you email customer services about this? I remember getting an email from them before I'd read one particular book, saying that, as there were so many mistakes in it, they'd send the updated version to me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback