We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

At last, a PM who talks sense

Al94

Likes # 0

I get more impressed by David Cameron as time goes by, this was a realistic and courageous speech http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16224394

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

alan14 your quantum leap shows me that you just do not understand my argument. It is the old time classic "Woolworths are red buildings thus all red buildings are Woolworths."

My original post was to take issue with fourm member's comment - If a man leads a moral life, repects other human beings and all living creatures and tries to benefit the community he is not behaving like a Christian. and I say that is exactly what he is doing whether he realises it or not.

Christians by definition are followers of Jesus Christ who (whether he was the Son of God or was a fictionalised person) has always been described as a man who led a moral life etc.etc.) and anyone who lives according to that same code is behaving like a Christian

But that same person following that same moral life is also behaving like a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddhist and just about every other religion you can think of. Good morals are not exclusive to any single religion but I maintain that you cannot exclude Christians as fourm member has done.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

chub_tor "and I say that is exactly what he is doing whether he realises it or not"

So, if we consider a man (or woman, of course) walking around leading his moral life, as described, then he is 'behaving like a Christian'.

But what about the case if he lived BC, and Christianity hadn't been 'invented'. Is he still acting like something not yet discovered? Ridiculous, I'm afraid.

fm's original statement was perfectly clear (to me, anyway) and perfectly correct.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Christians by definition are followers of Jesus Christ who (whether he was the Son of God or was a fictionalised person) has always been described as a man who led a moral life etc.etc.) and anyone who lives according to that same code is behaving like a Christian"

That, with all due respect, is absolute nonsense.

People who live moral lives are doing just that - they aren't behaving 'like' any religious group. Some of the people may have Christian beliefs, and those beliefs may partly motivate their behaviour, but that doesn't entitle you to claim that all moral people are behaving like Christians. Doing so sends the message that in your opinion Christians have some kind of inherent claim on morality, as if there were no moral people before Christ,and that's quite obviously ridiculous.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I came in at the end of this thread, and I hadn't read all the other posts when I made my contribution.

I've done that now, and realised that others had already said more or less the same as me. My apologies for the repetition.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

F.E.

but that doesn't entitle you to claim that all moral people are behaving like Christians. Yes it does, that is exactly how true Christians behave, and it is also how true believers behave in all of the leading religions of the world.

sends the message that in your opinion Christians have some kind of inherent claim on morality, No it doesn't, I have never claimed that.

But I do agree with your final point as if there were no moral people before Christ,and that's quite obviously ridiculous.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"People who live moral lives are doing just that - they aren't behaving 'like' any religious group. "

But they are, not consciously, nor deliberately, nut they are.

Looking at opposite aspects, the Christian Provisional ITA behaved just like Islamic fundamentalists do today, trying to bring about political change by using religion fuelled violence.

Left wing Stalin behaved just like right wing Hitler, and ne followed many of the precepts of Nazi ism.

Don;t think anyone would regard him as a Nazi though, or the Islamists as Catholics!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

chub_tor

"but that doesn't entitle you to claim that all moral people are behaving like Christians. Yes it does, that is exactly how true Christians behave, and it is also how true believers behave in all of the leading religions of the world".

Ah, I see, so all moral people are actually behaving like Buddhists,and Muslims, Hindus and Jews and Sikhs,as well as Christians?

Methinks you're trying to wriggle - claiming that you didn't mean what you so plainly did mean. " ....if I live a moral life and respect other human beings then I am behaving like a Christian - that is a follower of the Christ."

That seems clear enough to me. It's wrong, but it's clear. There's no need to retreat into fudging the issue. Moral people don't necessarily behave 'like' any religious group, as I, and others have already pointed out. You'll probably continue your defence, but it doesn't wash with me.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

F.E. I am not trying to wriggle out of anything that I said. Maybe when I said " ....if I live a moral life and respect other human beings then I am behaving like a Christian - that is a follower of the Christ." I could have added I am also behaving like a follower of Mohammed or Buddha or any other leader that has shown their followers a moral code, but I was trying to specifically refute fourm member's original statement where he only mentioned Christianity.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I limit my sensible talk to the wider public. My non-sensible talk is available on this great website, for discussion...or not.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

"Conservatives think there is political advantage in 'doing God'"

Known in the trade as doing a Blair, I believe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'