We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

At last, a PM who talks sense

Al94

Likes # 0

I get more impressed by David Cameron as time goes by, this was a realistic and courageous speech http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16224394

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Even though the vast majority of us don't practice any religion, he's quite right to confirm that our ways and customs are born of Christianity, and that is how this country conducts itself.

I think I can hear a can of worms opening...

Like this post
gigagiggles

Likes # 0

Quite a rosy-coloured view of Britain's history. Or maybe the negative aspects aren't taught at school or discussed at the dinner tables. I can see the positive values overflowing as opium was foisted and forced upon China. And the native inhabitants of colonies are treated as second- and third-class to the highly valued Christian patronage. And in the lush green backyard of Eire, their skin might as well be Martian green the way they were treated with Christian values.

And supposedly and allegedly, USA was born out of religiously-persecuted folks fleeing the great British nation and taking the risky voyage across the Atlantic Ocean.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

An awful lot of people think of themselves as Christian but only go to church for the old Hatch, Match & Despatch.

I think it was said pretty well by Rik Mayall in Bottom

Eddie: When did you last go to church? Richie: Well I don't have to go - I'm Church of England. What are you, Eddie? Eddie: I don't know. Richie: Well, what was your mother? Eddie: A wrestler.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Well I originally clicked on this heading as I was interested to see which country had a Prime Minister who talked sense hoping we might be able to persuade him to come to the UK. I felt let down -(.

David Cameron has clearly made this speach as he wished to get people off talking about the Europe question and the complete mess he nmade of the announcement about all the "same money" he was hoping to reinvest into solving the "problem family" issue. He may find he has stirred up another hornests nest with this one.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"A belief in a fictional deity is not a necessary prerequisite to living a moral life and working to benefit the wider community."

Worryingly, I have to defend the man and say that he does seem to acknowledge that.

I haven't read the full text yet; I do hope it gives me plenty to criticize too.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

'And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves.'

Nope nothing in the Christian text about Jesus protecting the Hedge Fund Managers.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

fourm member

If a man leads a moral life, repects other human beings and all living creatures and tries to benefit the community he is not behaving like a Christian.

I don't quite follow that statement, Christians - who are followers of Jesus Christ - are following a man who lived a moral life, respected other human beings and all living creatures and tried to benefit the community He lived in.

If you had capitalised the H in your last sentence "Christians, those that deserve the name, are behaving like Him." it would make sense to those who believe that Jesus was the Son of God and those who believe he existed but was a man who stood out because he lived a moral life, etc.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

chub_tor

You've failed to understand fourm member's point

Christianity does not have a monopoly on morality. People lived moral lives long before Christ walked the earth.

You do not have to be Christian to live a moral life, and as many people have found out to their cost, you do not have to be moral to live a Christian life.

I was brought up Christian and was heavily involved with the local church community, but became totally disillusioned by the behaviour of many people in the church. They petty back-stabbing at one end, and the church Curate who beat and sexually assaulted his own children at the other end.

I now live a life that is very close to Christ's teachings (yes, I fully believe Christ was a real man, the truth of his divine parentage is another matter), but see no reason why a link to an organised religion would improve things...

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

alan14 and fourm member Neither of you has read what I have written. Show me where I have said "Christianity has a monopoly on morality" or where I have said that "Being good is the exclusive privilege of Christians" I was merely pointing out that fourm member's statement that "if a man leads a moral life, repects other human beings and all living creatures and tries to benefit the community he is not behaving like a Christian." is incorrect.

Whether you believe that Jesus was or was not the Son of God he was, according to the stories handed down over the generations, a highly moral being who respected others, living creatures and tried to benefit the community he lived in. His followers gave Him the title of Jesus the Christ and His followers are called Christians. And here lies the dilemma in fourm member's statement for if I live a moral life and respect other human beings then I am behaving like a Christian - that is a follower of the Christ.

Those who attend Christian churches and indulge in "petty back-stabbing at one end, and the church Curate who beat and sexually assaulted his own children at the other end" and who thus do not live a moral life are not Christians in the true sense of the word as they do not follow the teachings of the Christ. But there are also those who attend Christian churches who do live moral lives and it is they who must be included in the particular passage I picked out from fourm member's post and which is why I say he is incorrect in that particular statement.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

chub_tor

So by your rational a Muslim who lives a moral life is in fact a follower of Christ - I'd like to see you explain that one in a Mosque

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features