We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you believe in Father Christmas?

Cymro.

Likes # 0

I have been hijacked (actually there was no need to hijack me as I enjoy the job)to be Father Christmas at my grandsons Play School. I did the same last year and as he was then only 18 months old I got away without him recognising me. He did have a sort of suspicious look about him and even came up on my knee without the need for any persuasion to do so.

So by now he is two and a half years old and I have seen more of him than I used to. In fact he is at our house most days of the week at some time or other. So the problem now is will he spot that Father Christmas is in fact his grandfather? Any suggestions serious or light hearted as to how do I avoid being spotted and perhaps spoiling Christmas for him and his older sister.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Ban him from play school for the day

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"how do I avoid being spotted"

A few years ago, one of our local large shopping malls had the Santa theme, with a Santa in attendance. A month or so later, the Santa for the day was before the magistrates. Apparently one of the kid's had seen Santa helping himself to some of the contents of a parent's handbag.

The season of goodwill, but kid's can be very observant!.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

One of my grandsons (age 5 at the time) saw 3 Santas that year. The second and third Santas got response "I've already told your brother what I want for Christmas"

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

Well the deed is done and I am back from being Santa. All in all it went very well till I heard my grandson saying to one of the nursery assistants that Father Christmas was his grandfather. The nursery assistant brushed this statement aside with a quick “no he just looks like him and your grandfather is at home on such a cold day”. As far as we can tell this seems to have satisfied the little man. When my wife went to get him latter on and he made no mention of Father Christmas being his grandfather.

The beard that came with the Santa outfit was a large one and after I pulled it right up as far as I dared and with the Santa cap down to hide my hair there was very little left of my face showing. It helped that I had put me glasses and watch in my pocket. The outfit had as you can imagine been used several times already and smelled strongly of perfume. I stuffed several mints in my mouth in the hope it would help to disguise my voice.

So a successful morning I think. Mind you it will be more difficult again next year. They grow up so quickly and are not kids for long. Considering I am not a fan of Christmas even I must admit I rather enjoyed it all this morning.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Well..... I didn't believe in him until this afternoon, when I watched "Miracle on 34th Street" on TV. Now I am a firm believer and even my grandchildren know he comes every year.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

This all your grandchildren

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/index.html

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Now I am a firm believer and even my grandchildren know he comes every year."

Of course he does, and if you really want to fill youngsters with a sense of Christmas wonder sit down on Christmas eve and watch 'Polar Express' with them. It is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best Christmas film ever made. I guarantee it will send them (and you) to bed in the right mood for Christmas.

I've seen it on three occasions, and if I have anything to do with it we'll be watching it again this Christmas eve.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Kevscar, I hope the grandchildren are better at the games than me. The wordsearch puzzle is hard. Twice it timed out as I wasn't fast enough :(

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I think there is a new film out called Arthur Christmas, which I heard is very good too. So I am looking forward to that.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This is an old favourite from Gene Autry, and I dedicate it to all the hard-working reindeers from John O' Groats to Timbuktu, who help Santa to deliver his presents to all the well-behaved boys and girls, all over the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaZVzUMup0

Merry Christmas.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite