We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does anybody use the new Radio Times web site?

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Radio Times has just closed its old site, which I found very useful for reminding me when my favourite TV & radio programmes were on.

The new site does not work very well, pages fail to load, and it regularly comes up with messages like this:-

"My Watchlist

We're sorry, radiotimes.com is very busy at the moment and we can't load your watchlist right now.

Please pop back in a few minutes and hopefully normal service will resume!

Following

Sorry, we don't seem to be able to load your following list right now."

The old site would load and list the programmes on my watchlist within 5 seconds, today, the new site took the best part of 2 minutes and failed to load the home page.

http://www.radiotimes.com/

The link is above, if you haven't tried it yet.

There is a community support site, but very little actual support is received from Radio Times. I think they've lost interest and couldn't care about it not working properly.

Does anybody have any luck with it?

g-g

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I don't use it but I tried your link and it loaded instantly. I was quite expecting the Potters Wheel or Tank of Angelfish to come up when you described it as a two minute wait to load.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Oh well, thanks for trying it.

It probably starts to fall over when you add programmes to a watchlist - meaning that when you log on to the site, it will tell you when your programmes are scheduled to be broadcast.

Other problems I've found - it doesn't show "Last of the Summer Wine" in my watchlist, until Dec 27th (although it is on every day) and my radio programmes aren't showing either, but it does list them in catch up (iPlayer)

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I suspect it is like much that happens with online offerings these days! Look at this website for instance, the old one worked perfectly well but they upgraded to this new version and there have been many problems with it since launch.

It just goes to show that newer does not necessarily mean better!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I bought the Christmas Edition Radio Times magazine yesterday, and had a quick flick through it.It has got lots of adverts inside...surely it's not a bbc publication.

...and I could not see their website printed anywhere.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

No, I don't think it's a BBC publication any more, see below, taken from the site:-

"© Immediate Media Company Limited

This website is owned and published by Immediate Media Company Limited."

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I subscribe and have it delivered each week. My deal works out at about £22 for six months of issues. A lot cheaper than buying it in the shops.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This may explain the changes. BBC Magazine change of ownership. Was BBC until recently.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell, the bulky mag, will be recycled, a page at a time...after perusal.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I dislike the new site. The old one was easy & quick to browse, and one could see at a glance what was scheduled.

The new one is all bells and whistles, and far less easy to use. Their web designers are keen to show how clever they are. However, I have no problems in loading the pages on the site.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Here's another error message I keep getting over the last few days:-

"Server Error 500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed."

Using a link to my programme list on the old site, it would take 2 seconds to display them all for the next 2 weeks. The new site, IF it works, takes about 40 seconds minimum & often more. The old site has more of my programmes set up to be listed than the new one, so it shows how fast it was.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?