We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

e-Books

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've seen the odd hyping of various eBooks on this forum, but never been particularly impressed.

I accidentally came across Morrisons magazine - well impressed? Yes, to say the least!!

It's a bit like a Powerpoint presentation - a real fancy one with every transition effect you could possibly use - as well as animation, banners and embedded video - admittedly a lot of advertisements, but on the whole a great effort. The Wolf Blass advert is particularly impressive.

Just checked Tescos online mag and although it uses transitions, it' nowhere near as good as Morrisons imho.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I had a look ready to 'take the proverbial' but must say, yes you are right, well impressed.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Read all about the South African farming industry, another e-pub.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Thanks Wiz King - that looks like the "no thought gone into it" standard sort of eBook that I've seen hyped before. Nothing flashy about it, just turn the pages and read.

The whole point of the thread was that the Morrisons eBook was pretty innovative and interesting to look at, rather than the boring turn the pages job. And half of it is in a foreign language!

(But then again, you probably find the sout African farming industry interesting therefore that publication floats your boat.)

If anyone else has any "good" examples, please feel free to post a link.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Better Digital Photography is a really nice free online magazine.

Many pages are interactive, with videos and stuff

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

For those of you who haven't come across it there is a FREE 'Kindle' reader App. available from Amazon that enables you to read Kindle books on just about any device including your PC/Laptop.Thousands of FREE books available.

Kindle Reader

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Covergirl

Certainly would not want to look at it on a slow internet connection. Maybe I am just impatient. I consistently get 7mbps with my connection but was getting annoyed with the Morrison's site. I was looking to buy a Vauxhall a few years ago when I was still on dial-up, along with many other users at that time, and their site was almost impossible to view properly and I ended up buying a Ford. Perhaps you can put too much into a site!!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Morrison's mag uses flash and cannot be viewed on an iPad so perhaps not such a great design.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Woolwell ha ha - "not such a great design" that'll be the iPad you're on about then?

canarieslover I don't have more than 4mbps at home and it all flowed seamlessly for me. Perhaps 1 or 2 seconds here and there while it loaded a new page, but no great delays. Perhaps you're connection isn't quite 7mbps or your computer is not working to it's full capability.

Or did you mean the actual Morrisons site itself? No, can't be - I've just clicked around a dozen pages on my interminably slow works internet connection and they've all displayed like a dream - perhaps 2 seconds to load each page which is probably down to the speed of IE7.

BT - good job I recognise the name or I'd be flagging your post as Spam - however, the FE is a Kindle devotee so I don't think I'd get far with that one :)

Alan14 Yes, nice emag. Not many transitions or special effects but a nice interface, well thought out and everything (links and highlights) seem to work.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Covergirl

As I indicated, I am extremely impatient. It doesn't matter to me how pretty it is, I just want it to load instantly and give me the information I want so that I can get on with the next thing I need to do. A couple of seconds on every page may not be much, but it's too much for me.

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

canarieslover I hope I am never in front of you at the checkout ;-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow