We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Police laser to blind rioters. Good Bad not sure?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

It claims to only blind temporarily but what if someone has an accident due to brief blindness, surely they would sue the police for compensation?

police laser

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I think before any action is taken the police have to warn rioters to disperse. (Riot Act)

Maybe those who remain are then resposible for their own safety.

I could be wrong of course.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The Riot Act was repealed in 1973

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

In the futuristic classic TV series STAR TREK...

Captain Kirk, on many occassions ordered his 'beamed down" landing party to...

"SET PHASERS TO STUN..."

500 hundred years earlier....nothing has changed!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"the beam has been compared to staring into the sun"

My eye disease is accentuated, permanently, by direct sunlight and I have to avoid it.

I don't have any plans to riot, but innocent passers by do sometimes get caught up in these things.

In my case, and obviously many others, blindness might not be temporary.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Well the powers that be have always been trying to blind Joe public with one thing or another. They have tried science, lies (Sorry spin) so why not let them shine a light on matters so to speak.

As that well known character would say we are "doomed"

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

It seems a bit of a blunderbuss device that can have consequences for innocent parties with a whole range of medical conditions, rubber bullets are bad enough, but they are normally aimed at legs and they even get that wrong as people have died. So at the moment I'm in the not sure camp until it can be proved safe and how are they going to prove that without using them?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

A better solution would be an accurate water cannon with indelible ink in the water. Then the police later could go to the area when everything has calmed down and arrest everyone with the dye on them or their clothing and have to account to why they were in that location. Any innocent person would leave the area if they did not want to run the risk of being involved.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the military have had the dragon laser gun device for years not sure if it was ever used in ireland for rioters. great idea for the police to use it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...