We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: How do you back up your data?

davidcourt

Likes # 0

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Home - once a week to external hard drive + once a month to CD Work - every ten min from PC to on-site server, every hour from on-site server to off-site server, once a week from off-site server to off-site tape.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Acronis and 2 External HDD's with occasional extra burning to DVD/CD's for Vids and pics

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I use Lotvics method but totally on hard drives.

Acronis uses one drive and photo and music on another.

Because my Photographs can't be replaced another backup is kept on a third USB drive.

The BBC had an article recently which suggested they be saved as TIFF images to avoid data compression.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

All work stuff is backed up to another PC on the network as and when new files are written

C drive (op system) is backed up to another drive with Acronis every Friday however use two different file names so always have second backup to fall back on.

Data drive is also backed up the same way

Therefore have two copies of Opsytem drive and three copies of w data drive all on different hard drives

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

C: (system files partition) scanned and defragged then an ATI image once a week to an external HD.F: (Data partition) Mirror image daily to second (removable) HD using Freefilesynch.Once a month: Clone (ATI) whole Primary drive to another removable HD kept elsewhere.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 1

This is like when people ask my how my Christmas shopping is going - I swallow something hard and jagged. I back up only very occasionally, to an external hard drive. And this makes me a bad PC Advisor editor.

Like this post
mafiosi

Likes # 0

**Put it in reverse gear. ;))**

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I ticked the external hard drive one.

I do this quite regularly every Christmas holiday and end of tax year. Sometimes an extra time if I do something major on the computer:)

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

I have a clone of my first install with all my important photographs to an IDE hard drive. If this drive fails I just put in the backup drive.

Not bothered about any other thing on the computer. My bank and utilities statements are all on line and I can access them from any computer.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I keep all my data on a separate partition to Windows, I've always done this since I had a spell where Windows 98 had to be reinstalled on a monthly basis.

I back up the partition every time I'm reminded to when someone asks a question like this

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow