We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Not feeling the cold in the morning.

robgf

Likes # 0

I was wondering if there is a scientific reason why it never seems as cold in the morning, as at night. I don't have central heating, so the house is cold in the morning, about 6C by the thermometer this morning, but it doesn't feel cold enough to turn any heating on.

Yet in the evening, although the thermometer reading is usually higher, it feels colder and I need the heater on. Just wondered why it isn't noticeable in the morning.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Maybe because in bed we go into a hibernation mode, slow breaths, slow calm heartbeat inactive mind etc. When we're awake we're more aware of our surroundings, avtice body craving for food and movement.

After all, they say that when you freeze to death, you're asleep before it happens.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not just me then, I've been puzzled by this as well. 14c in kitchen this morning but feels warm enough. Last night was 18c and I felt frozen.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A good camping tip for warming yourself up before getting into the sleeping bag is to put your feet into cold mountain water until they're bloody cold, then get into the bag... it works, you'll be as warm as toast!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not wearing those new all in one Tiger suits are you.

They look terrible but seem to be getting popular.

It is going to be a warmer day today but yesterday morning was frosty and cold.

I don't feel cold this morning but I did yesterday.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"After all, they say that when you freeze to death, you're asleep before it happens."

Once upon a time I wrote a series of articles about the causes and effects of extreme weather - thunderstorms, fog, snow, heat, etc. In one, I wrote about blizzards, and how to survive if you're caught out in one. I talked about what happens as you begin to freeze to death, and how you fall asleep before the end comes.

I have no idea why you feel less cold in the mornings than at night, though.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Probably because in the morning your core temperature has been held up by being tucked up in bed, whereas through the day you are either moving into cooler areas or sitting around with less insulation than bedding would provide.

Not very scientific but it seems possible to me.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

What you need is one of these with matching big slippers!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

johndrew

Your "Not very scientific" reasoning isn't far wrong.

Normal human body core temperature is 37C. Mild hypothermia occurs if this drops by even a small amount to 35C. That's when people start shivering quite violently, have little feeling in their hands, and start feeling tired.

Long before that happens you'll 'feel cold', and you would normally do something about it - move to a warmer place, or put on more clothes. People often feel cold when they get up in the morning because they've just come from resting in a warm bed, and they're not moving around. Once we're active our muscles generate heat, and that helps,as does the fact that ambient temperatures tend to rise when the sun is up.

In the evenings as temperatures drop we feel colder, and this is often made worse by the fact that we may be resting - we feel the need for warmer rooms and more clothing again.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

QuickBeam and John Drew got it right if in a roundabout way

put it simply

You aint awake yet!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

When you get out of bed in the morning you immediately start doing something, but in the evening you invariable sit down and watch TV or read a book. If you are on the move you are using muscles and keeping the blood flowing. If you are sitting doing nothing you are gradually losing body heat. That's my theory anyway. Simple innit?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers