We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sign of the times for XP

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

The new drop-down menu here on the forums link shows Helproom then Windows 8..7..Vista etc. No mention of the XP workhorse that served so well for many years. Used to be the King of problems in Helproom...

That's progress I suppose but Win 7 is its true offspring, Vista, in my humble opinion, was dissapointing to say the least.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 1

I hated the concept of Vista, but only because of the 'chat' about it. Owing to a very short lived mistake by Microsoft on their TechNet website, I managed to get Vista free of charge. What the hell, I thought, I might as well give it a try.

After using it for a few days I loved it. XP, really quite suddenly, felt antiquated. And it didn't crash anything like as often. W7 is a worthy replacement to Vista and again makes XP feel one step closer to the feel of a Commodore 64!

As for Windows 8? Unusually, I haven't downloaded any of the pre-release versions. The idea of Metro doesn't gel well with me, but then again, I may need have a 'Vista moment' when I do try it.

XP hit the spot in its time. Many corporate and home users won't shift away from it. But every dog has its day, and XPs day has been and gone.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 1

XPired!

Like this post  
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

"johndrew"

HIya IF i find it i dont want a penny! there is no point in selling u it when i dont use it? its yours! However i just dont have time at the mo as myself and my wife are working three jobs at the mo as well as we have a family so IF u remind me in a few weeks il spend the time to dig it out and send u it, PM me and il get back to you.

A

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'e-mail me via the envelope'

You mean the one we no longer have?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Autoschediastic

YES, my brain isn't working either. As onthelimit1 says (and I had forgotten) we no longer have the facility to pass e-mails.

I shall e-mail the FE and asked that he pass my e-mail address to you and suggest a re-introduction of a functional envelope.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Autoschediastic

FE has sent my e-mail. Leave it in your client somewhere and many thanks.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Johndrew just checked il be emailing u sometime in the next 20 mins, chat soon :-)

A

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I am still running Win98se on one of my Computers, all others are XP home

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Win 7 is possibly going to be shortlived as they say Win 8 is just 'over the horizon.' Probably not for this dinosaur though but one never knows ! TC.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I quite liked my Commodore 64.... only got rid of it about a year ago when I cleared the loft out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite