We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SOD 'EM!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think in the simplest terms, that's what he's saying between the lines.

Cammeron's handbag speech...

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Just been watching the prime minister answering questions in Parliament. I know I have asked this question before. Why do MP's keep bobbing up and down all the time? It reminds me of the song "Sons of the Sea, Bobbin' up and down like this".... Where all the singers bob up and down in tune. But our MP's can't even do it in tune.

badgery, I did say there was only one referendum I had taken part in or words to that effect. It was when we were asked if we wanted to go in the Common Market I think. But I do remember it gave no choice as far as I was concerned. It certainly did not give our government permission to join the European Union. But then again I can't remember them ever asking the population for permission to do anything. (To my mind elections don't or shouldn't give government the freedom to do what it wishes on the spur of the moment. But they do, don't they?) We should be consulted on big decisions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Why do MP's keep bobbing up and down all the time?

They want to speak to the house, but can't do so unless called upon by The Speaker; they're trying to catch his eye.

The Speaker is supposed to be politically impartial, and although it may not look like it there's a good deal of skill involved in ensuring that all interested parties get a fair hearing.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Regarding standing up quickly in the house (of commons):-

I get dizzy sometimes, when I stand up quickly, and get discombobulated at times.

I would like Health n Safety to look into this matter.

ALL of our MP's have to be clear-headed when addressing the public, and the Speaker.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Some interesting points, but I think referenda should be treated with reserve.

A referendum would probably call for the death penalty to be re-instated, perhaps even corporal punishment, to say nothing of deportations of aliens, even EU ones!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

On a point of information, the referendum in 1975 was conducted by Wilson's government and asked whether or not we should remain members. We entered under Heath's premiership without a vote. In those days many in the Labour government were in favour of withdrawing from the EU while the Tory party was fairly solid in favouring continued membership. Thatcher, in particular, was firmly in favour of continued membership.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Time will tell, of course, but if I had any spare cash I would invest in Deutsche Borse, because I think that slowly, but inexorably, business will now move to Frankfurt.

Am I the only one in Europe or elsewhere to be thinking this way?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"if I had any spare cash I would invest in Deutsche Borse"

Despite all the commentators thinking that the Euro will not survive as a world class currency?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It would be nice if we had a referendum with the question phrased as:

Q. Would you agree to the British government having the right pull out of the EU at any time in the future that the government considers that the interests of the EU are wholly detrimental the British national interest?

I reckon that at this time, that would get a 99.9% yes vote. It is of course very non-committal regarding the promise of instant action, which is what the governments of the world, including the Brussels lot, like. But it would give the government a Sword of Damocles the make the Franco/Bosch Empire builders consider others from time to time...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

No reason at all! Which is why the EU is so troubled, and it all seems to have escalated from when we started to move away from the concept of a simple common trade market place, which is what we initially started out with in joining.

We moved so far by adding botched sub-treaties to treaties and to the botched sub-treaties, that the only way for the future is to plan a complete re-launch and re-start with a new treaty that has all countries interests treated equally. Not continuing the present Orwellian system that has the member state populace quite discontented with every other country.

But that won't happen. Only as recently as 10 years ago I was largely in favour of the EU, but now I've completely lost faith, trust and belief in the EU. That's not an overnight transition. The EU must look into itself and ask themselves why that's happened. They won't like the answer, but it'll never be a success until they see it. I don't think that'll be in my lifetime...

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

In these days of computers and electronics. It would be much easier if every MP's seat had a button in front of it, which they could press to tell the speaker that they would like to have a say. The speaker would have a screen in front of him and could then choose (impartially of course) who is to speak next. That would save them all "bobbin' up an' darn" (as the cockneys say).

Does this bobbing up and down to attract attention go on in any other parliaments around the World? I doubt it somehow. I think they all know how stupid it looks. I bet they don't even do it in Scotland even though I have never seen their version of question time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014