We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SOD 'EM!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think in the simplest terms, that's what he's saying between the lines.

Cammeron's handbag speech...

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I truly believe that we contribute more to the eu's coffers than we get out of membership of this association of self interest groups. As such the PM was correct to ask for something in return for our support as our position is a lot stronger than say greece ireland or italy etc.

I admit that there may be some truth in the old adage of united we stand divided we fall, but the eu's assumption that britain is cash cow to be milked for as much as they can get away with (quite a lot since we joined) will in my opinion be their undoing.

Simply put: we might need them, but they definitely need us. Or rather our money.

WTM

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

"The thing that really exercises me is that Cameron has done this to protect the City, the bankers, who got us (not just our bankers I know) into all this in the first place."

And there was me thinking the need to change the treaty was to do with European Governments borrowing too much and spending too much. Of course that's the bankers fault too.

I know this may be blasphemy to some people but the City of London is one of the (if not the) premier financial centres in the world and does contribute a hefty sum to the Government coffers click here

Surely even if it was to protect the bankers (which I doubt this was the primary reason) then he is telling the truth about protecting Britains interests. We have to get beyond blaming the scapegoat and accept there were others to blame too. In some instances probably more so. To simply place the blame squarely at the feet of the banking industry is soundbite politics with little thought to all the underlying reasons.

As I understand the existing treaty there are already mechanisms in place to deal with those countries which do not adhere to fiscal common sense (ie decent budgets and borrowing plans). It is a shame that Germany didnt adhere in the early years of the Euro - surely this contributed to others to do so to a greater extent. Why should the UK be a subject of the Franco-German thinking when in fact the Euro experiment does not work. Ok the new treaty would increase unification of Europe but without being put to the European people of any country it is simply dictatorship in all but name.

If France & Germany want this new unification then ask their people and then come back to the table and berate others. Given the precarious nature of France's banks and sovereign creditrating I dont think they will succeed though. As for Germany, well, I think the German people may not like it too much if they have to bail out more countries without any say in it.

Remeber though - if the UK had been a part of the Euro we would surely be in a more difficult place than we are now. The new treaty would simply reduce the power of the UK Government to improve the lot of the UK people - surely its over-riding concern.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"the power of the UK Government to improve the lot of the UK people - surely its over-riding concern."

There's that tribalism again.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

"There's that tribalism again."

And prey tell which tribe do i belong to?? Given you dont know me.

I also take it from your post that you do not think the UK Government should not be putting the interests of the UK first?

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

morddwyd "Cameron has done this to protect the City, the bankers, who got us (not just our bankers I know) into all this in the first place" i couldnt agree more with you! (tips hat)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"So Britain stands alone......"

I think some people have forgotten that Britain is still a member of the European Union. All that has happened is that we have declined to sign up to a treaty change that deals with budgets and penalties for GDP deficits.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Cameron has done this to protect the City, the bankers, who got us (not just our bankers I know) into all this in the first place"

Yes,he has, but to infer that it was wrong to do so is just nonsense.

He sought assurances that we would not be subjected to new legislation that would impose transaction charges on the finance sector. In 2010 'The square mile' contributed around 11% of the UK treasury's revenue. Along with New York and Tokyo the City of London is one of the world's largest financial transaction centres, and the last thing we should want is a new European tax slapped onto each and every transaction that occurs here, for obvious reasons.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Has everyone forgotten the world trade Organisation in which 153 countries agree to trade rather than the pathetic 27 countries (in disagreement) who form the EU.

The WTO does not want to charge an arm and a leg to belong to their 'CLUB' either.

Wake up and see the rest of the world.

Terry

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldTradeOrganization

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"And prey tell which tribe do i belong to?? Given you dont know me."

I suspect from your posts that you belong to the British tribe.

"I also take it from your post that you do not think the UK Government should not be putting the interests of the UK first?"

You are correct, I don't.

Like the other 26 members I have moved beyond such narrow nationalism and think, and I cannot emphasise this enough that as long as we are a signed up full member of the EU Europe comes first.

Whether or not we should actually be such members is altogether another issue on which my view is not quite as firm, and perhaps a subject for another thread, but this one was originally simply about the PM's recent stance.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

"Well the only voices I've heard against the use of the veto has been from our own MEPs camp, that says a lot."

If a sitting or ex MEP comments against the EU, how is their pension affected?

I have heard that it is considered to be a breach and will affect any payment earned; this could be true based on comments from those who are/were in the Brussels ' money farm'. But whether it is true or no I have no firm idea - it wouldn't surprise me though!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features