We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SOD 'EM!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think in the simplest terms, that's what he's saying between the lines.

Cammeron's handbag speech...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"If someone posts that they have worked on the floor of either or both stock exchanges, and can confirm that business is conducted in English, then, of course, I will change my view."

I suggest you change it.

I've done work for a major European bank in both Singapore and Hong Kong, and in both places English is the official business language.

As for "Since two of the world's top four financial markets are non-English speaking (Hong Kong No1. Singapore No 4)"

That's not right either. Hong Kong is at number 6 in the world in terms of the value of shares traded last year. London is at number 3, after The New York Exchange(number 1) and NASDAQ (number 2).

Singapore isn't even in the top 15.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"'ve done work for a major European bank in both Singapore and Hong Kong, and in both places English is the official business language."

I made no mention of banks. I referred solely to the floors, specifically frenetic floors, of the respective stick exchanges.

"Since two of the world's top four financial markets are non-English speaking (Hong Kong No1. Singapore No 4)"

I corrected my sloppy terminology at 08.35 yesterday and apologised for it.

The link I quoted was the BBC, normally regarded as a reasonable source, which itself is quoting the World Economic Forum, an independent and well respected source.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded