We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SOD 'EM!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think in the simplest terms, that's what he's saying between the lines.

Cammeron's handbag speech...

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

Does this bobbing up and down to attract attention go on in any other parliaments around the World? I doubt it somehow. I think they all know how stupid it looks. I bet they don't even do it in Scotland even though I have never seen their version of question time.

It does show that your MP is there. Is paying attention and is not a sleep or dead.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I wouldn't take that as proof that they're not dead!

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

fourm member

Interesting article, even if I had to go through a registration process to read it!

It had more than a hint of Armageddon about it and little reflection on the situation for the UK if Armageddon does hit. Some business leaders are expressing caution at those who should be a little careful about what they wish for; we are also passengers on the listing ship.

perhaps its time to reflect on that reality, there are no lifeboats on board.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"In case you hadn't noticed they use a different language in Germany."

Well yes, I had noticed, but I'm not sure how it's relevant.

My wife has invested in a Spanish bank and she can't speak a word of the language.

"Despite all the commentators thinking that the Euro will not survive as a world class currency?"

The Deutsche Börse does not only deal in Euros!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

fm

Why?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Since two of the world's top four financial markets are non-English speaking (Hong Kong No1. Singapore No 4) I still don't see the relevance.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You should carry keeping your money under the bed then, they fall into fm's primary grouping;)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"English is one of the official languages in both places"

I don't doubt it, but I would think that traders would only use their native language on the frenetic floor of a world leading stock exchange.

"Since when?"

Apologies, loose terminology on my part.. I should have quoted "Hong Kong is the world's most developed financial market, "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16172457

The last paragraph puts Singapore as fourth.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No I won't. It is just a view, and I have seen no convincing argument to cause me to change it.

If someone posts that they have worked on the floor of either or both stock exchanges, and can confirm that business is conducted in English, then, of course, I will change my view.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'd be inclined to think that business is conducted in english because that is the most widely spoken language. (although I might think it was polish based on the last two weeks personal experience. Long story) But I can quite easily belive that may change over the next 1-200 years.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......