We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SOD 'EM!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think in the simplest terms, that's what he's saying between the lines.

Cammeron's handbag speech...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I honestly don't think, in the long run, that he has actually acted in Britain's best interests.

As has been said by many on this forum, some with wide experience of commerce and business, we need the EU more than it needs us.

We cannot influence things by relegating ourselves to the sidelines.

This is just tribalism, at the heart of so many of the UK's inefficiencies (the MoD, the NHS, the coalition itself) and is something EU members must rose above if it is to survive.

If Germany and France can co-operate, with agreed differences, it should not be beyond the cornerstone of diplomacy and compromise, Britain, to do the same.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

We must agree to disagree on this one.

I've stopped believing in the EU entirely now.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Don't think we disagree.

I've stopped believing in it too, but we're either in or out.

If we're in it must be all the way in, if we're out it must be all the way out, like Norway.

The half measures, and the sniping from the rear rank, is doing nobody any good.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Ah! Then we are in concord over this EU Pandora's box.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

The EU is dead, it won't lie down because of the stubborn vanity of certain Heads of State who will become nobody's overnight when it happens. Making a Club within a Club is nonsense when all the members have different agendas and interests. There is not enough money to fix this and printing more will just cause a greater problem. Like all Politicians they want to defer the inevitable until after they are just a bad memory in History, leaving the current generation to clear up the mess.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

From what little I know about the goings-on in Europe, it seems to me to be driven by the heads of state of Germany and France.

Neither of these look likely to be re-elected by their respective countries when the next round of elections take place.

What will happen if their successors change things again? More chaos?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Taking into consideration of events, past and present here in the UK, perhaps its now time to put it to the public vote as to whether we want to be Europeans or not?.

This could even be extended to other countries whose public didn't have a vote, as to whether they should have joined 'Other States' in eventually becoming or forming a party of one?.

Like this post
minilite

Likes # 1

Do not be fooled by all the rhetoric being bounced about,you will no doubt rememeber that this country has had to give up a lot of industrial might to join the the European union and have been a net contributor ever since,you cannot control countries with different spending powers,they probably could have reduced their baleouts by devaluing their currency,s had they not joined the euro ,but that option is not open to them,so they will have to sink or swim with it.Cameron has done the right thing, Germany wants to control all members monetary systems and wants control of our expertise in London.. There is a long way to go yet,and i cannot see all these countries eventually buckling down to French and German domination.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Grey Goo I'm with you 100% on this! when Spain had the Peseta us brits could go there and relish our holidays on the cheap! so can anyone tell me now the prices of almost everything on spain has doubled how that is a good move.? holiday makers are staying put in the uk less money is been spent all over Europe due to the price of holidays the price of flights with new taxes & the prices of food and drink..The goverments got greedy & now they are going to pay...

I have gone off Cameron BUT he think he did the correct thing last night! the EU has simply too much power over the UK...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I think Cameron has done the right thing by the country. London is a (if not the) major financial centre and for a tax to be placed on UK revenue by taxing each transaction would cause the UK harm; the likelihood of another tax increase on UK residents or business.

The Euro area has got itself in a mess by failing to ensure the correct levels of parity and maintaining good financial control across all members. It is unreasonable to expect any non-Euro member to contribute to resolving this issue. Or to put it another way, we trade with many other countries not in the EU, would it reasonable to subsidise any one of them in the event their currency got into trouble; I don't think so.

As I remember, one of the ideas of the Euro area was that if one area got into difficulty the remainder would come to its aid; such aid did not include non-Euro members of the EU.

As for the 'experts' in the Labour crowd who not only sold our gold reserves at a knock down price but also depleted our savings (and left a note bragging about it), they should consider the damage done during their reign which has aided the current difficulties we have and be substantially quieter with their 'perfect' advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad