We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

U.S. Drone is downed over Iran.

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am surprised that these gadgets aren't fitted with a self destruct system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16098562

To let one fall in to the hands of Iran of all nations at this time defies belief.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

downed over Iran

And not a scratch on it.

I think you would expect some sort of damage.Will see what the news brings.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I am surprised that these gadgets aren't fitted with a self destruct system."

I share your surprise. These aircraft are used primarily for surveillance, and you would think that it might have occurred to the designers that one might fall into the wrong hands. It wouldn't take an Einstein to work out that some form of self-destruct system could prevent secret technology from being revealed to a potential or actual enemy.

Of course you would have to be able to communicate with the aircraft to initiate a self-destruct, and from what I've read it seems that this may not have been possible.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

I heard it mentioned that it had been brought down electronically by overriding it's guidance system so no doubt minds are concentrated on resolving this problem. I also concur that a triggered self destruct system is a serious omission. TC.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

All air vehicles are fitted with a self destruct device.

It's called an engine.

You switch it (them) off.

There is also a back up system called the control system which works in a similar way.

Unfortunately, like any system at all, if somebody disables the switches you're stuck!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Picking up on something FE touched on "Of course you would have to be able to communicate with the aircraft to initiate a self-destruct,".

I am neither electrical engineer nor techie but I would have thought it could have been 'booby trapped' so, unless it was opened a certain way, it would blow itself up? In that case there would be no need for communication between sender and drone. Wasn't this the case with many un-exploded WWII bombs?

Like this post  
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I would also have thought they would have been "Booby-trapped" to blow up on being mishandled in any way. Too late now!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think booby trapping would not really be cost effective for one in how many thousand chances that this event would occur, and you would never know, until it was too late, whether it worked or not.

I also think, as an explosives and weapons engineer (who has fitted so-called booby traps, or to give them their proper name, anti-tampering devices, to bombs), that it would be too risky.

It would just want one engineer out of thousands, on just one returned device out of thousands, to get just one item in a sequence of several hundred wrong, and there goes the farm.

Let's face it, these devices use perfectly normal, but sophisticated, radio control techniques, and perfectly normal, but sophisticated, surveillance and/or weapon delivery techniques.

There is almost certainly no very secret equipment on them, and no real security risk.

Remember, the very fact that they are drones means they are expendable and may be sent to high risk areas without risk to aircrew.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Check out the Horton 229. Looks familiar.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I think the loss of a single drone is in itself not important. However, Iranian technology has succeeded in working out the various frequencies and coding, so that they can now override the home transmissions and that will be expensive to correct.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I think I saw something in a paper someone else was reading that the USA had asked for its drone back. I could only see the heading. A bit like asking for your ball back after you had smashed the glass in your neighbour's greenhouse.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made