We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gay Marriage Laws

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Amnesty International have joined a coalition seeking a change to they gay marriage laws in Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16074324

I know that gays are being persecuted even to the point of death in some places, but is gay marriage really something for Amnesty to be spending resources on?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My original point is not about whether this should be a concern of Amnesty's, as obviously it should, but whether Amnesty should be spending what must, after all, be limited resources (not just financial) on a relatively, and I repeat relatively, trivial issue.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Admiral Allstar

"its about human rights abuses and quite frankly i think persecution is a higher priority."

I assume that there are people at Amnesty who are capable of making such judgements. Prioritising human rights issues is always a risky business, because of course someone whose human rights are being denied doesn't have to be in some far-flung land, ruled by a despot - there are people in every major city in the UK who are being denied their human rights on a daily basis.

Amnesty identifies cases which, in its opinion, are worthy of support, and it provides that support if it can. Most of us know nothing of Amnesty's daily work, but from time to time along comes a case, like the one that precipitated this thread, and people start making judgements - usually based on a little knowledge and a lot of opinion.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"people start making judgements - usually based on a little knowledge and a lot of opinion."

And without such there would be little debate this forum!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I wasn't criticising the way our forum works - just introducing a bit of a reality check.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

It has been said (in not so many words) in this thread. That 'Amnesty International' should be supporting more worthy causes, than that of gay rights in Scotland.

But Amnesty are a Worldwide 'International' organisation, so how do you know that they are not supporting who, when and where as well, simultainiously in other countries. Where their media are not seeing fit to give it as much coverage as ours is in this matter.

It strikes me that all this noise is being caused by...

'A little knowledge, being a dangerous thing'

That is, little knowledge of the machinations of Amnesty International and little knowledge of Gay Rights. Me thinks you protest too much, it's beginning to sound like prejudice to me!

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

FE

"I assume that there are people at Amnesty who are capable of making such judgements. Prioritising human rights issues is always a risky business, because of course someone whose human rights are being denied doesn't have to be in some far-flung land, ruled by a despot - there are people in every major city in the UK who are being denied their human rights on a daily basis."

We agree on that.

"Amnesty identifies cases which, in its opinion, are worthy of support, and it provides that support if it can."

We agree on that.

"Most of us know nothing of Amnesty's daily work, but from time to time along comes a case, like the one that precipitated this thread, and people start making judgements - usually based on a little knowledge and a lot of opinion."

As others have said the whole point of this forum is to give opinions.

I actually think we agree on a lot. If I can precis our respective positions as I understand them:

Amnesty does good work (wherever that may be). We both agree.

The subject which started this thread is a worthy cause. We both agree.

However, where we disagree is over the prioritising of this cause. My view is that homosexuals in other countries would love to be in the position of Scotland and I think it shows how far this country has come where the biggest worry for the homosexual community is over the definition of marriage.

I dont think we will ever agree on Amnesty's priorities with regards tot his one. As an aside (playing devils advocate), if the Amnesty case is adopted and someone is asked to conduct a homosexual marriage which goes against their beliefs would Amnesty support their case for human rights being abused? As i said earlier Amnesty are getting involved in a tricky area which has no easy answer. As you yourself said "there are people in every major city in the UK who are being denied their human rights on a daily basis".

Graphicool1 - "It has been said (in not so many words) in this thread. That 'Amnesty International' should be supporting more worthy causes, than that of gay rights in Scotland."

That is not what I am saying at all. I simply state that I believe there to be higher priority causes to stop more immediate suffering.

"Me thinks you protest too much, it's beginning to sound like prejudice to me!" - your posting of this is directed at me I assume - given you do not know anything about me you may wish to re-think that as negative posts which do not add anything to the discussion have no place here.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Admiral Allstar

I can find nothing to argue with in the part of your post addressed to me, so yes, I'm happy to agree that we differ slightly on this particular case, and leave it at that.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Admiral Allstar

"your posting of this is directed at me I assume"

Why would you assume that?

However, if you feel you deserve to have such accusations aimed at you, then so be it. Although, it has to be said I wasn't aiming my remarks at any one person persay. It was more by way of my reaction to a general feeling that seems to be radiating from many contributors to this thread.

"I simply state that I believe there to be higher priority causes to stop more immediate suffering."

You are probably right in your beliefs of 'higher priority causes' and there probably always will be. But why should that fact preclude Amnesty from choosing this cause over another?.

"given you do not know anything about me you may wish to re-think that"

What is that statement supposed to mean? If ever I've heard a throwaway remark, this has to be the one that takes the biscuit!

This thread isn't all about you and what you think, unless of course you are a founder member of Amnesty? After all, as you say I don't know much about you. But that very fact works both ways my friend, so how can I rethink an empty statement. I hesitate to call it a meaningless threat, so I'll not take it as one.

"as negative posts which do not add anything to the discussion have no place here."

Why should my thoughts and observations not be treated with as much creedence as anything you have had to say. This isn't all just about you and what you think. This isn't the law according to Admiral Allstar...I think so, therefore it is so.

We all have as much right as each other to make contributions to any of the threads on this site. Just as long as what we say doesn't contravene PCA rules and regulations.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

In case you're wondering... I edited your post to make the minor correction that you subsequently posted about.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more