We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gay Marriage Laws

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Amnesty International have joined a coalition seeking a change to they gay marriage laws in Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16074324

I know that gays are being persecuted even to the point of death in some places, but is gay marriage really something for Amnesty to be spending resources on?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"is gay marriage really something for Amnesty to be spending resources on?"

Amnesty International obviously thinks so.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Everyone has got rights and 'Amnesty Internationlal' are all about helping all people realise their's. Whatever their sex, sexual persuasion, creed, colour or religion.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

I think that there are higher priorities for Amnesty to concentrate on rather than the legal definition of what marriage is.

People are dying in Syria and other places. People are being persecuted around the world. Whilst the legal definition of marriage may be important to some Scottish Gays it pales into insignificance against that backdrop - they are not being persecuted.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

From their website

"uncover and halt human rights abuse across the globe. "

I just think that, globally, there are much worse abuses that Amnesty should be expending resources on.

The fact that gays can't marry may be an abuse of human rights but on a scale which includes Syria, Burma, China and women in Afghanistan it must be a pretty low priority.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

It does not say "abuses of human rights which measure sufficiently on the following scale:..."

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

Joesph Kerr - no it does not, but surely the attention should be on the more perssing issues like people dying, being tortured etc. Gay marriage in Scotland is not in the same league under any definition. I make no comment about the pro's & cons's of the marriage issue, but rather that there are more needy. How about the gay population in Uganda

Are they not more worthy? The UK state is not (to my knowledge) actively seeking to destroy the gay population of the UK.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Gay marriage in Scotland is not in the same league under any definition."

You obviously don't understand the aims and functions of Amnesty International. It's not about only dealing with human rights abuses if they affect large numbers of people - it's about 'human rights abuse'. There's a difference.

Amnesty will fight on behalf of a single person if necessary, and it has done just that on many occasions.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

"You obviously don't understand the aims and functions of Amnesty International."

How patronising and takes my comment out of context. I thought better of you.

I do not say that they should not partake in this issue, but rather that I believe they should concentrate more on those whose suffering at the present time is harsher than deciding what the legal definition of marriage is. If you really want to get into it, then Amnesty may be barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Suppose someone, eg a Vicar(for want of a better example), is forced to conduct a gay marriage which they believe to be against their faith then surely Amnesty should then help them to stop the abuse of their human right. There is no easy answer to the issue.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Can they only do on ething at a time? They're wuite a large group are they not?

I'm off now; there is no way you, Admiral, will emerge from this looking good.

Like this post
Admiral Allstar

Likes # 0

"I'm off now; there is no way you, Admiral, will emerge from this looking good."

So my concern for those facing physical harm is greater than those who argue about the definition of marriage. Sorry my priorities are wrong to you. I am not saying it isnt an issue for discussion but lets stop people being harmed first. As the FE's post says - its about human rights abuses and quite frankly i think persecution is a higher priority.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do